Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dont want to ruin a birthday party HELP!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Dont want to ruin a birthday party HELP!!!!

Last nights test at 7pm EST:
    FC-17.5
    CC-1.0
    PH-7.2-7.5
    TA-60
    CYA-30-40
    I noticed yesterday when I got home from work that my FC was down from 8 to 2.5 from the previous evening. So I know I have something growing eating away at my chlorine. I brought the pool to SLAM levels around 6pm. Between 6-7 I lost no FC. I got up this morning at 5:45 and retested the water for FC and the levels were at 13. I added my last gallon of 10% LC and had to go to work. I know what needs to be done but I have a small problem. My little girls 5th birthday party is tomorrow. AND of course its a pool party. My water is crystal clear but I am loosing FC pretty quick. Do I need to break her heart and cancel the swimming or can I just keep the FC relatively high through tomorrow afternoon then proceed with the true SLAM. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby
    24 foot Radiant metric series AG, 13,500 gallons, 1-1/2 hp Pentair pump with sand filter, TF-100 test kit, Blue Ridge Va

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Dont want to ruin a birthday party HELP!!!!

If the water is clear to the bottom, pH is 7.2-7.8 and the FC is less than SLAM level you can swim.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply Mr. Bruce. I just don't want things to get out of hand and create more trouble. I also don't want to tell my little one she cant get in the pool with her friends.
    24 foot Radiant metric series AG, 13,500 gallons, 1-1/2 hp Pentair pump with sand filter, TF-100 test kit, Blue Ridge Va

4. Back To Top    #4

If it were mine I would keep it up to SLAM level until shortly before the pool and then crash FC down to safe swim levels using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, which will consume FC at roughly a 1:1 ratio that household bleach raises FC. In other words a gallon of common dollar store / drug store Hydrogen Peroxide will lower FC by about the amount a gallon of bleach raises it. Dollar General around here has it in quart bottles for under $1 each so it is fairly cheap, and reacts rapidly with FC.

Ike

p.s. if you want the science to back this up see Hydrogen Peroxide is a Dechlorination Alternative | USP Technologies
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I can defiantly do that. I honestly wouldn't care if it cost me $500.00 as long as the little one has a blast tomorrow.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bmoore2 View Post
    I can defiantly do that. I honestly wouldn't care if it cost me $500.00 as long as the little one has a blast tomorrow.
    I don't blame you.
    My understanding after being here a short period of time is Post #2 would be what I would do.
    Keep that pH in check and no one will know...and don't tell the spouse what is going on....they will worry even though everything is fine!
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

My wife is defiantly a worry wart too. I am leaving work at 11 today and go home to brush, vacuum, and monitor FC at SLAM levels. Just tell her that I am making sure its perfect for tomorrow.

8. Back To Top    #8

My wife is defiantly a worry wart too. I am leaving work at 11 today and go home to brush, vacuum, and monitor FC at SLAM levels. Just tell her that I am making sure its perfect for tomorrow.
    I might differ from the experts on here, but that's what I would do.
    See what it dropped (not using OTO test of course) add what is needed and check first thing in the morning.
    Advantage is it is crystal clear...and with those kids tomorrow, you will need the extra FC anyway.
    have a blast!
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good and SAFE plan! Now tell your little they CAN go swimming! CANNON BALL!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the help to everyone!!!! Ill post some pictures of them having fun.