Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: collect water sample for testing while in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

collect water sample for testing while in the pool

I can't kneel at the pool side to reach in the water to get a sample to test. Would getting into the water to collect my water sample effect the test results?
    Lexington, KY
    34,270 gallons in-ground plaster 40 x 22 rectangle chlorine
    Hayward super pump SP-1600 (2012)
    Hayward S-200 sand filter (1973) new sand (2015)
    Hayward Multiport 1" side mount (2013) pool built 1973 Taylor k-2000 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: collect water sample for testing while in the pool

Use a long piece of PVC as a pipet to draw water from a few feet down.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I never thought of that jbliizle. I thought about a stick but couldn't figure how to put the tester vials in upside down until I reached the proper depth. Your idea is a good one. Now I ask my wife to collect a squirt bottle full to test and rinse out the test vials.
    I still wonder though if being in the water while gathering a sample would effect the results.
    Lexington, KY
    34,270 gallons in-ground plaster 40 x 22 rectangle chlorine
    Hayward super pump SP-1600 (2012)
    Hayward S-200 sand filter (1973) new sand (2015)
    Hayward Multiport 1" side mount (2013) pool built 1973 Taylor k-2000 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Nope! I ask my husband to get the water when he is in all of the time. Have not seen a difference at all.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My husband bought a pool toy that sucks up water and shoots it out in a stream for $.98 at Walmart. Actually bought it to shoot water at squirrels climbing on the screening. I looked at it and said this would be great for getting a pool sample. Basically it's a long syringe! Just have to make sure to rinse it. Also have trouble kneeling and had taped a cup on the end of a pole, but obviously can't invert it to get confirmed deeper sample. Just an idea.
    IG 15,000 gal vinyl Grecian SW, Hayward SWG, Pentair whisper flow pump, sand filter, Aquacal ice breaker heat pump. Finished August 2015, screen enclosure, TF 100