Just drained 95% of my pool. Can someone give a quick sentence or two on how to SLAM?

ttown

Jun 24, 2014
Houston, TX
My CYA levels were around 4/500 after years of bad managing the chemistry. I just drained about 95% of my pool (just enough to keep the pumps going), and is currently filling back up.

Can someone give a brief summary on how to SLAM? I read the guide here, but just wanted to confirm I'm doing things right after draining so much.

-Approx how much bleach or chlorine to buy for a 8000 Gallon Hot tub?
-Getting the PH to 7-8 is KEY before SLAMMING, correct? (leave all others alone)
-After getting the PH up, the only chemical I should be using is bleach/chlorine right? (turn off the bromine feeders currently set at 1)

Once my chlorine levels stabilize, then I can do everything else to have a good balance, right?

-Whats the recommended way to lower my extremely high chlorine after it stabilizes (aka: I can stop the SLAM method; chlorine doesnt drop anymore)

Thanks guys! looking forward to a blue tub again after so long of green tubs

I think this is a swim spa, correct :)

With a 95% drain you're basically starting over with new water so this should be easy, you may not even need to SLAM unless there is algae still in the pool/spa.. recommended levels Pool School - Recommended Levels, get everything balanced and see if you need to SLAM

Try this, I think it will help do exactly what you're trying :)

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

I think this is a swim spa, correct :)

With a 95% drain you're basically starting over with new water so this should be easy, you may not even need to SLAM unless there is algae still in the pool/spa.. recommended levels Pool School - Recommended Levels, get everything balanced and see if you need to SLAM

Try this, I think it will help do exactly what you're trying :)

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

swim spa? Lol, I always thought of it as a really long hot tub. It's 4.5ft high and just.. long.

These same methods should still work even though I want to switch from chlorine to bromine tablets to maintain in the future correct?

should be no issues but most stay with chlorine because it works so much better... I could never get my bromine to work correct :(

But the SWG is working like a champ :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.