Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just drained 95% of my pool. Can someone give a quick sentence or two on how to SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

Just drained 95% of my pool. Can someone give a quick sentence or two on how to SLAM?

My CYA levels were around 4/500 after years of bad managing the chemistry. I just drained about 95% of my pool (just enough to keep the pumps going), and is currently filling back up.

Can someone give a brief summary on how to SLAM? I read the guide here, but just wanted to confirm I'm doing things right after draining so much.

-Approx how much bleach or chlorine to buy for a 8000 Gallon Hot tub?
    -Getting the PH to 7-8 is KEY before SLAMMING, correct? (leave all others alone)
    -After getting the PH up, the only chemical I should be using is bleach/chlorine right? (turn off the bromine feeders currently set at 1)

Once my chlorine levels stabilize, then I can do everything else to have a good balance, right?

-Whats the recommended way to lower my extremely high chlorine after it stabilizes (aka: I can stop the SLAM method; chlorine doesnt drop anymore)

Thanks guys! looking forward to a blue tub again after so long of green tubs

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Just drained 95% of my pool. Can someone give a quick sentence or two on how to S

I think this is a swim spa, correct

With a 95% drain you're basically starting over with new water so this should be easy, you may not even need to SLAM unless there is algae still in the pool/spa.. recommended levels Pool School - Recommended Levels, get everything balanced and see if you need to SLAM

Try this, I think it will help do exactly what you're trying

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Just drained 95% of my pool. Can someone give a quick sentence or two on how to S

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    I think this is a swim spa, correct

With a 95% drain you're basically starting over with new water so this should be easy, you may not even need to SLAM unless there is algae still in the pool/spa.. recommended levels Pool School - Recommended Levels, get everything balanced and see if you need to SLAM

Try this, I think it will help do exactly what you're trying

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)
    swim spa? Lol, I always thought of it as a really long hot tub. It's 4.5ft high and just.. long.

These same methods should still work even though I want to switch from chlorine to bromine tablets to maintain in the future correct?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

should be no issues but most stay with chlorine because it works so much better... I could never get my bromine to work correct

But the SWG is working like a champ
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **