Bromine pool causing a cough?

Dec 6, 2010
Bluffdale, UT
We have an in ground, vinyl lined pool ( about 35,000 gal) that was installed 18 years ago. 4 years ago, we had the liner replaced ( and hence, all the water). In the last year and a half, we have noticed that when we are swimming, we all start coughing a lot. We didn't have this problem prior, but I am wondering if it related to the bromine? We had a suction side air leak that caused bubbles in the pool, which has now been fixed, but we still cough. It seems to be worse when we first open the pool cover, or when there is a lot of splashing.

Total alkalinity, ph and bromine levels are all normal ( although total alkalinity was a little low the start of the season). What should I be checking? Could this be high combined bromine? If so, should I try opening the cover and aerating the water? Shocking? Other?

Any help will be appreciated

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.