calcium chloride and swg

I will defer to the chemists, but I believe it will break it down into the ionic forms of Ca+ and 2 CL-.

Not sure how easily they do it though. I know NaCl(sodium) and KCl(Potassium) turn into ions really easily and are both used in water softeners.

Not sure though that you would want Ca+ ions in your pool. Considering that CaCl is in your pool already, I wonder if it isn't already being used.

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on the link, I had to read it all.

I now know more than I wanted to, but it was interesting to see how the SWG really works, chemically that is.

Thanks. I was curious because my salt reading went from 3500 to 3700 ppm and wondered if adding the cacl2 had an effect on that reading? I only added about 10 lbs. so I doubt that would move my reading 200 ppm?

If you are using the salt meter built into your SWG it's a conductivity meter. Adding the Calcium Chlrine will increase conductivity (as will adding any chemcal that dissociates into ions) so the 'salt' reading will rise. if you are doing a chemical test for chloride ions (such as the strips or the Taylor drop count test) then that will rise also since you have added chloride ions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.