Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: calcium chloride and swg

1. Back To Top    #1

calcium chloride and swg

Does a swg break down cacl2 and make chlorine like is does with NaCl? Just wondering since I had to add cacl2 to bring up my CH.
    Houston, Texas
    10000 gallon pebbletec
    Salt Water Generator
    Spillover spa.
    XM8 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: calcium chloride and swg

I will defer to the chemists, but I believe it will break it down into the ionic forms of Ca+ and 2 CL-.

Not sure how easily they do it though. I know NaCl(sodium) and KCl(Potassium) turn into ions really easily and are both used in water softeners.

Not sure though that you would want Ca+ ions in your pool. Considering that CaCl is in your pool already, I wonder if it isn't already being used.

3. Back To Top    #3

I suppose it would, though you would never want to add as much calcium chloride as it would take to run a SWG. The SWG just cares about the chloride, and doesn't really care what the other half is.

If you really want to know the chemistry, there is a detailed explanation in this advanced chemistry topic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on the link, I had to read it all.

I now know more than I wanted to, but it was interesting to see how the SWG really works, chemically that is.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I was curious because my salt reading went from 3500 to 3700 ppm and wondered if adding the cacl2 had an effect on that reading? I only added about 10 lbs. so I doubt that would move my reading 200 ppm?
    Houston, Texas
    10000 gallon pebbletec
    Salt Water Generator
    Spillover spa.
    XM8 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are using the salt meter built into your SWG it's a conductivity meter. Adding the Calcium Chlrine will increase conductivity (as will adding any chemcal that dissociates into ions) so the 'salt' reading will rise. if you are doing a chemical test for chloride ions (such as the strips or the Taylor drop count test) then that will rise also since you have added chloride ions.