TFT Pressure Gauge

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I purchased the bottom mount pressure gauge from tft, I believe it was last year, and since day one it's been inconsistent. For example, it could read 20psi, turn the pump off and on, then it's at 17 and a few minutes later it will be at 20. Other times it behaves as expected, which would be for it to read 20 again. Sometimes when I turn the pump off, it slowly goes to 0, most of the times it goes straight to 0. Other times when I turn the pump on it slowly rises, most of the times it climbs right to, what I assume, is the correct psi. Did I get a dud? is there something I can do to try to correct it?

I am NOT an engineer but that doesn't sound wrong to me.

Keep in mind that filters are dynamic... you will have different amounts of debris and pressure at different times.

If I plug in my Polaris the pressure is higher than if that return is left wide open, and if I need to backwash it will also be higher.

Yet you're ultimately getting the same reading in minutes of 20, right? It just takes a few minutes?

this is only my second gauge I've owned for the pool. i would think that with all being the same the reading should be the same. it shouldn't take the pump a few minutes of run time for the gauge to read what it was reading previously. the pressure should be the same almost instantaneously, i would think. it's the same pump, same filter, same amount of debris as when it was when turned off, so it's not really dynamic, with a quick off and on cycle. and keep in mind, this only happens sometimes, most of the times, it reads just as it did before I powerded if off. Besides, how about all of the other scenarios I mentioned? it just isn't consistent.

But...but.. doesn't the DE fall a bit off the fingers when the pump is off? Do you ever bump the filter? I would think those times the pressure would vary even briefly.

Remember.. I'm a trauma nurse, not an engineer ;)

I'm just trying to use a few brain cells to critically think this through with you.

It is possible for these pressure gauges to get debris lodged in them. I've see gauges act screwy when someone used Teflon tape on the threads and accidentally covered the hole a little.

Take the gauge off and see if there is any debris plugging the hole. Unfortunately if debris has gotten into the gauges, they can be impossible to clean out. You may need a new one.

I've had 3 of these gauges fail on me in about 2 years. 2 of them were replaced for free with great customer service. My current gauge has worked on and off for 3 months but has gotten worse. I can do without a gauge so I just ignore it now.

three fail in two years?! That does not sound promising for me! I will remove mine during the weekend, clean it and re-install it. The one I replaced looked like it was original (15 years?), I expected to at least get a few years from this one.

I have a TFP sourced gauge and it works flawlessly. I doubt that the perceived problem is with the gauges. Check and make sure that there is nothing obstructing the gauge port, such as Teflon tape or pipe thread dope. Your history with gauge failures suggest that it really is something other than the gauges that are failing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a TFP sourced gauge and it works flawlessly. I doubt that the perceived problem is with the gauges. Check and make sure that there is nothing obstructing the gauge port, such as Teflon tape or pipe thread dope. Your history with gauge failures suggest that it really is something other than the gauges that are failing.

+1

I was looking for a reason to get one and my new house/pool had a broken plastic gauge.

I replaced it with a tfp gauge last september and worked perfectly since day one.

I notice that with the large temp differences, the needle sometimes does not go to 0 when the pump turns off. But quickly opening the plug on the top equalizes things back out.

My first 2 gauges got stuck at around 20 psi. My current gauge sometimes stays at zero or only rises to 10 psi when it should be a few psi more. I thought it could be a filter problem but last Spring I did a deep clean(it was fairly clean) and removed all of the sand to inspect the laterals and everything looked great. I don't use thread tape or dope.

I use DE for 3 months out of the year. I don't have a lot of junk falling into my pool or much sunscreen oil. I'm just thinking about anything that could gunk up the gauge but I really have no clue as to why I've had such bad luck with mine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.