Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFT Pressure Gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

TFT Pressure Gauge

I purchased the bottom mount pressure gauge from tft, I believe it was last year, and since day one it's been inconsistent. For example, it could read 20psi, turn the pump off and on, then it's at 17 and a few minutes later it will be at 20. Other times it behaves as expected, which would be for it to read 20 again. Sometimes when I turn the pump off, it slowly goes to 0, most of the times it goes straight to 0. Other times when I turn the pump on it slowly rises, most of the times it climbs right to, what I assume, is the correct psi. Did I get a dud? is there something I can do to try to correct it?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFT Pressure Gauge

I am NOT an engineer but that doesn't sound wrong to me.

Keep in mind that filters are dynamic... you will have different amounts of debris and pressure at different times.

If I plug in my Polaris the pressure is higher than if that return is left wide open, and if I need to backwash it will also be higher.

Yet you're ultimately getting the same reading in minutes of 20, right? It just takes a few minutes?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

this is only my second gauge I've owned for the pool. i would think that with all being the same the reading should be the same. it shouldn't take the pump a few minutes of run time for the gauge to read what it was reading previously. the pressure should be the same almost instantaneously, i would think. it's the same pump, same filter, same amount of debris as when it was when turned off, so it's not really dynamic, with a quick off and on cycle. and keep in mind, this only happens sometimes, most of the times, it reads just as it did before I powerded if off. Besides, how about all of the other scenarios I mentioned? it just isn't consistent.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

But...but.. doesn't the DE fall a bit off the fingers when the pump is off? Do you ever bump the filter? I would think those times the pressure would vary even briefly.

Remember.. I'm a trauma nurse, not an engineer

I'm just trying to use a few brain cells to critically think this through with you.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

It is possible for these pressure gauges to get debris lodged in them. I've see gauges act screwy when someone used Teflon tape on the threads and accidentally covered the hole a little.

Take the gauge off and see if there is any debris plugging the hole. Unfortunately if debris has gotten into the gauges, they can be impossible to clean out. You may need a new one.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Drop them an email at TFTestkits@gmail.com or give them a call and I'm sure they will be happy to help you solve the issue.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

As Matt eluded to, it sounds like debris in the connection port or the bourdon tube. It's possible that there's something in the pointer mechanism, but since those are filled gauges, that's doubtful.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I've had 3 of these gauges fail on me in about 2 years. 2 of them were replaced for free with great customer service. My current gauge has worked on and off for 3 months but has gotten worse. I can do without a gauge so I just ignore it now.

9. Back To Top    #9

three fail in two years?! That does not sound promising for me! I will remove mine during the weekend, clean it and re-install it. The one I replaced looked like it was original (15 years?), I expected to at least get a few years from this one.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a TFP sourced gauge and it works flawlessly. I doubt that the perceived problem is with the gauges. Check and make sure that there is nothing obstructing the gauge port, such as Teflon tape or pipe thread dope. Your history with gauge failures suggest that it really is something other than the gauges that are failing.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Please send me an email at tftestkits@gmail.com and I will get your gauge issue resolved or send you a new one. Thanks! Rebecca

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    I have a TFP sourced gauge and it works flawlessly. I doubt that the perceived problem is with the gauges. Check and make sure that there is nothing obstructing the gauge port, such as Teflon tape or pipe thread dope. Your history with gauge failures suggest that it really is something other than the gauges that are failing.
    +1

I was looking for a reason to get one and my new house/pool had a broken plastic gauge.

I replaced it with a tfp gauge last september and worked perfectly since day one.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Do you leave your gauge on the filter over the winter? Could that be an issue for you?

14. Back To Top    #14

I notice that with the large temp differences, the needle sometimes does not go to 0 when the pump turns off. But quickly opening the plug on the top equalizes things back out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    My first 2 gauges got stuck at around 20 psi. My current gauge sometimes stays at zero or only rises to 10 psi when it should be a few psi more. I thought it could be a filter problem but last Spring I did a deep clean(it was fairly clean) and removed all of the sand to inspect the laterals and everything looked great. I don't use thread tape or dope.

I use DE for 3 months out of the year. I don't have a lot of junk falling into my pool or much sunscreen oil. I'm just thinking about anything that could gunk up the gauge but I really have no clue as to why I've had such bad luck with mine.