Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward H100ID making popping backfire noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward H100ID making popping backfire noise

Evening all.

New to the site. Had a AG pool for the last 8 years. This year I bought a second hand H100ID. Set up really easy. New 3/4 has line. Worked great for the first 3 days. Now when I turn on the heater it backfires or pops about 60-90 seconds. I can also smell some gas. I have called around to Hayward tech line. Not much help. I went and had a chat with a pool company. They too were unsure. Little concerned to run it especially with the smell of gas. Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix. Thanks
    Pickle
    18x48 AG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hayward H100ID making popping backfire noise

Sounds like it is tome for a complete disassemble and clean. Moving it probably knocked a bunch of rust loose and it is clogging up the burners. Does it run OK after the 60-90 second time frame?

I will also be surprised if the safety circuit is intact when you take the top off of it.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Had a pool tech by today and he said it's not getting enough gas. I can't see it but gas fitter is coming Tuesday to put a meter on the line. I will confirm that first and then look to take it apart. I find it hard to believe that it's not getting enough fuel. It appears to be not burning it

Thanks
    Pickle
    18x48 AG

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

That is possible. See what his water column measurement is. It could be too low. I run mine at full 100,000 BTU input on a 1/2" OD line running about 25'
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump