Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF100 vs. pool store test - getting different results????

1. Back To Top    #1

TF100 vs. pool store test - getting different results????

Just rec'd my TF100 yesterday and I did all of the test yesterday and then again today. Then I took a sample of my water to a pool store by my house and had the water tested. They have some sort of electronic tester that is connected to a computer. I'm getting some very different results and I'm not sure if i'm making a mistake or if the tester at the pool store is off which I wouldn't think since it seems pretty high end.

The two that are off the most are FC and TA

TF100 FC - 7.5 vs. 5.1 from store

TF100 TA - 140 vs. 80 from store

Any ideas??
    46k gallon vinyl, Intelliflo VF, Quad DE 100, Autopilot DIG60, Raypak R405a, Bravo Fury Auto Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: TF100 vs. pool store test - getting different results????

As a general rule, trust your results over any pool stores.

Do you have reason to believe your FC test is in error? Their reading was taken from a strip (I'm almost sure).....not nearly as accurate as the FAS/DPD test you have.

The TA test in the TF100 kit has an issue that may be making your results too high. When you start counting the drops of R-0009, Do they appear smaller than the other drops or sort of "jump" off the dropper tip? Static electricity between the bottle and the R-009 will frequently cause that.

Try the test again and this time wipe the dropper tip with a damp cloth or paper towel in between each drop. That insures a normal drop size and may well lower your test result.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Re: TF100 vs. pool store test - getting different results????

Always trust your testing over the pool store. Their tests are designed to sell chemicals.

Also, I have yet to see a water sample NOT lose FC 'on the way' to the pool store, speaking of my personal experiences and reading many others on TFP.

You have the best test kit on the market, imho. After a little practice, along with looking at your sparkling pool, you will become comfortable with trusting your testing.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!