PH 7.6
    Hardness 164 ppm
    Alkalinty 121 ppm
    Copper 0.3
    Iron 0.1
    PHOSPHATE .... Way over at 2282 ppb

Last the cya read was....
    113 ppm

As a result I have a purple sand like substance settled at the bottom of the pool.
    It brushes away easily

The water is clear

Is there any other way to solve this besides draining the pool? Just trying to figure out the best way to fix this eye sore

In which order should I tackle these issues?

Thank u for ur time

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High cya .... Need advice

Welcome to TFP! Glad to have you here

You know your CYA is too high but those appear to be pool store tests. Pool store tests are hit and miss for accuracy. More often than not, misses.
    Your FC is too low and you have something growing in the water based on your CCs. When your CYA is so high it requires higher and higher FC levels to be effective. I would suggest first getting your own test kit (TF-100 is the *bomb.com* of test kits, link in siggy line) and learn to test yourself.

Ignore phosphates as they are meaningless when you keep your pool properly sanitized with chlorine. And by chlorine I mean either liquid chlorine (aka "bleach" which is 8.25%, or pool liquid chlorine which is higher % but neither have ANY other ingredient in them to mess with your water) or via a Salt Water Generator (SWG) which produces its own chlorine from salt you add to your water. Don't use pucks or granular chlorine, they contain either CYA or calcium and cause the build up problems.

You're going to need to drain some water and replace to get that CYA down. Pool Math application can help you.

Read up on pool care- start here: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Holler back with any questions

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok so let me make sure I am understanding you correctly.... 1st I should lower the cya because it is making my chlorine dosage ineffective because due to the high cya it wants MORRREE lol....once my cya is in range I should chlorinate using liquid chlorine.... will this help get rid of the purple stuff at the bottom? Should vacuum to waste? Kill two birds w one stone? Would a shock treatment be a waste of time?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The first order of business is a proper test kit. Pool store testing is usually terrible. I recommend the TF100. There is a link in my signature.

Welcome!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the FC/CYA Chart. FC must always be kept above minimum to keep the pool sanitary and prevent algae from growing. FC must be brought to shock level to kill algae following this process, SLAM.

It is all covered in Pool School
    start here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    then here, Pool School - Getting Started

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. There are different rules about draining pools depending on what you have. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

But wouldn't I have to lower the cya first before slamming? Otherwise the shock treatment would be ineffective?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

If the pool store's CYA reading is correct, then yes, you want to drain/refill water to lower the CYA prior to starting a SLAM. You'll require far less chlorine to reach SLAM levels. That said, the first thing we need is for you to get one of the recommended test kits so that we can get the real numbers for your pool and give you the correct advice for your pool.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

9. Back To Top    #9

Goodtwin,

My advice here...being new myself here...is if you really want to get good advice from the pros on this board, you need to convince them that you are ready to follow the ways of TFP. First and foremost, means getting your own test kit and test the water yourself. Nobody on here is going to recommend anything to you until you test yourself. They will not even look at your pool store results, as they are unreliable.

Once you ordered the test kit, while you are waiting for it, they can recommend steps to take until you post your first test result set. Then they can nail down your issue(s)

Welcome and good luck!
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok used my new TF-100 kit

FC -1.5
    CC -0
    PH -7.2
    CYA -100
    Alk-130

Again my pool info is
    I have 15 round above ground w/ vinyl
    About 5000 gallons
    Filter is D.E.
    No heater

The issue is clear water but the presence of purple sand like substance on the bottom of pool and a hint on the walls.

I did a vacuum to waste yesterday to get rid of some water and purple stuff. Got rid of most of the purple stuff but must have missed some because it is so fine.

The filter also went through a good cleaning and backwash.

I'm assuming my next step would be draining some water again to lower cya then a SLAM?

What should I use to chlorinate in the mean time?

Thanks again

11. Back To Top    #11

Have you tried the dilution method to see what your CYA really is? With the reading at 100, you may very well be sitting at a much higher actual level. Mix pool water and tap water 50/50 and then perform the CYA test and multiply the result x 2.
    ~17k gallon, plaster/gunite pool, Pac Fab Challenger Pump 1.65HP, Sand filter. Rheem Heater. Waterfalls with 1 hp pump. Main Drain and 1 Skimmer.
    TF-100XL test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Bleach!!!! You need to get some bleach in to that pool PRONTO or you are inviting algae to take over. Your CCs are 0 now, but they might not stay that for long if you get algae.

I would add 1/2 jug of bleach daily until you get it all figured out with your CYA. You may need to drain and replace some water if your CYA is so high. BLEACH IS YOUR FRIEND!!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok tried the dilution test .... Maybe I did it wrong but filled the cya tube all the way to the top and could still see black dot

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Goodtwin View Post
    Ok tried the dilution test .... Maybe I did it wrong but filled the cya tube all the way to the top and could still see black dot
    Ok, do another test with 3 parts tap water and 1 part pool water, using this mixture as your pool water and retest, multiply result by 4.

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok that's what I was thinking..... Just pour it evenly into the pool ? It stain liner correct?

- - - Updated - - -

It won't stain liner?

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Sorry, do you mean pour the bleach evenly into the pool? Or something else?
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

17. Back To Top    #17

Yea I never used bleach before so I'm just worried about staining the liner......what's your recommendation on pouring it in the pool?

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Goodtwin View Post
    Yea I never used bleach before so I'm just worried about staining the liner......what's your recommendation on pouring it in the pool?
    It stained my liner, but I don't care much.
    12,000 gallon AG pool | Hayward 1HP pump | Hayward Perflex DE filter (I hate DE) | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Pour bleach slowly in front of a return jet.

Also, do the 4 part (3 parts tap, 1 part pool water) as YippeeSkippy said above. You may have to throw a ton of bleach at this thing if your CYA is as high as it sounds. If you can still see the dot at 1:1 ratio of tap to pool water, that means your CYA is 200+. While the more you dilute your CYA test, the error rate goes up, but it will give you a good notion/idea of what CYA ballpark you're in. Was the dot becoming obscured during the diluted CYA test?
    ~17k gallon, plaster/gunite pool, Pac Fab Challenger Pump 1.65HP, Sand filter. Rheem Heater. Waterfalls with 1 hp pump. Main Drain and 1 Skimmer.
    TF-100XL test kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Barely became obscured..... I would say slightly cloudy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast