Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Free Chlorine test reads "HIGH" on my ColorQ 7 and on my HTH test strips

1. Back To Top    #1

Free Chlorine test reads "HIGH" on my ColorQ 7 and on my HTH test strips

My pool is in full operation. I shocked last week with 8 gallons 10% liquid shock, and I added 5 3" Chlorine tabs(that was all I had- have more now) in the chlorinator. My pool is clear, no algae- never have had that problem, thank goodness! My dilemma is that my test readings say "High" for FCl and for TCl- and I don't know if I need to shock again because I don't know the numbers! My CYA reading is 97 this morning. I went to the Pool Store and she said my Cl was fine and I need to keep it high! I bought the ColorQ 7 so that I didn't have to guess, or rely on the "ranges" on the test strips! Now I don't know what to do! Help!:confused
    20 X 44 in ground, vinyl liner, 39,600 gals. 1 main drain,2 skimmers, 4 returns.Hayward sand filter (300 lbs fill), 1.5 H Hayward Super pump. Automatic chlorinator in-line, Heater in- line. We have an automatic pool cover, on a tract under the coping. Full sun all day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Free Chlorine test reads "HIGH" on my ColorQ 7 and on my HTH test strips

Welcome to TFP!!!

You have discovered why we do not recommend the Color Q or especially test strips ... check out the only Recommended Test Kits which include the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

If that CYA is correct, the chances of your pool staying clear this summer are pretty low especially if you keep using tablets which are raising it even higher.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

First off, FC is the good chlorine. CCs are the debris from the chlorine killing off the cooties.

We don't recommend the ColorQ tester because it is unpredictable if not recalibrated often enough. We prefer drop based tests which aren't hard to do and are more reliable. The TF-100 kit is our preferred, but the Taylor K-2006 is also good. The important test is the FAS-DPD test which can test FC up to 50 ppm. No other test does this, most max out at 5 or 10. We consider test strips to be not much better than "Guess-Strips". Pretty worthless if you want the best sanitation readings for your water.

Why did you add 8 gallons of liquid chlorine in your pool if you didn't have algae? Did you add it all at once?

Those chlorine tablets are raising your CYA level and it will soon be difficult to keep algae away since the higher the CYA=the higher FC requirements.

Please read this article in Pool School, it will help you understand more- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Bring your questions back ...and welcome to TFP!!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

What do I need to do to correct his?
    20 X 44 in ground, vinyl liner, 39,600 gals. 1 main drain,2 skimmers, 4 returns.Hayward sand filter (300 lbs fill), 1.5 H Hayward Super pump. Automatic chlorinator in-line, Heater in- line. We have an automatic pool cover, on a tract under the coping. Full sun all day.

5. Back To Top    #5

Get one of the FAS-DPD test kits.

If you mean correct the high CYA, you have to replace water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!