DE in my pool-help!!

Jun 9, 2016
Fresno/CA
I'm new to pools altogether. :)
Just recently when I turn off my pump, I hear an immediate gushing of water. Dirty water and DE go into pool from main drain and there is visible de in my skimmer. There are small air bubbles in my intake area (but they have been there since we moved in-no changes). What are your suggestions? What should I check? My filter is an old Nautilus FNS. Thank you in advance!

You have a suction side air leak, or you're not filling the vacuum hose with water before you connect it. Somehow, air is getting in the tank. While the pump is on, it compresses. When the pump shuts off it expands and pushes the DE out through the intake. The short term fix is to bleed the air out of the tank using the bleeder at the top. Then you need to figure out where the air is coming from. Hopefully it's as simple as the vacuum hose. Otherwise... Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

And Welcome! :wave:

You should have a check valve between your pump and your filter to prevent this, some DE filters have the check valves built into the inlet, chances are it has failed and needs replacing, or it may just be clogged with some debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.