Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE in my pool-help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

DE in my pool-help!!

I'm new to pools altogether.
    Just recently when I turn off my pump, I hear an immediate gushing of water. Dirty water and DE go into pool from main drain and there is visible de in my skimmer. There are small air bubbles in my intake area (but they have been there since we moved in-no changes). What are your suggestions? What should I check? My filter is an old Nautilus FNS. Thank you in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: DE in my pool-help!!

You have a suction side air leak, or you're not filling the vacuum hose with water before you connect it. Somehow, air is getting in the tank. While the pump is on, it compresses. When the pump shuts off it expands and pushes the DE out through the intake. The short term fix is to bleed the air out of the tank using the bleeder at the top. Then you need to figure out where the air is coming from. Hopefully it's as simple as the vacuum hose. Otherwise... Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

And Welcome!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: DE in my pool-help!!

You should have a check valve between your pump and your filter to prevent this, some DE filters have the check valves built into the inlet, chances are it has failed and needs replacing, or it may just be clogged with some debris.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~