Moving GFCI Outlet

Jun 3, 2016
Florida
In preparation for the Intex pool we'll be getting I need to bring a GFCI Outlet near the pool location. We currently have an existing GFCI about 10-15ft away mounted to a piece of wood. The plastic conduit is already buried and hooked up to the breaker box. The outlet was being used by the previous owner for a fountain and lamp post which we'll no longer be using.

Should I replace the outlet with a outdoor rated junction box and run new conduit underground so the outlet is closer to the pool? Could I remove what's there and extend the existing conduit underground using a splice kit?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You can't splice electrical lines outside a box. Generally you can't bury a box.

So leave the existing outlet run new NM (electrical PVC) (its gray and sold in the electrical department at HD) from the existing box to a new box by the pool (at least 5 feet from the pool). They sell sweep curves so you won't have to bend anything. You can leave the current GFCI outlet where it is. You may need to change the box so it has two holes on the bottom. 3/4 inch conduit minimum. If the HC guy says 1/2 is ok tell he's correct but its your back pulling the wire. Get at least 12 gauge wire. The ground wire must be insulated. The HD guy can help with the additional parts you may need. Oh the conduit must be buried at least 18" below grade. Spend some money and cover it with 4 inches of sand. You cannot use outdoor rated buried cable -- this is a pool it all must be in conduit with an insulated ground.

Make sure you pigtail off the ground in each box and connect the ground on the plug body and the metal outdoor box use a wire nut so you don;t short to the plugs hot side

You can't splice electrical lines outside a box. Generally you can't bury a box.

So leave the existing outlet run new NM (electrical PVC) (its gray and sold in the electrical department at HD) from the existing box to a new box by the pool (at least 5 feet from the pool). They sell sweep curves so you won't have to bend anything. You can leave the current GFCI outlet where it is. You may need to change the box so it has two holes on the bottom. 3/4 inch conduit minimum. If the HC guy says 1/2 is ok tell he's correct but its your back pulling the wire. Get at least 12 gauge wire. The ground wire must be insulated. The HD guy can help with the additional parts you may need. Oh the conduit must be buried at least 18" below grade. Spend some money and cover it with 4 inches of sand. You cannot use outdoor rated buried cable -- this is a pool it all must be in conduit with an insulated ground.
Thanks for the response, everything you mentioned sounds good. The box already has a second hole and conduit that I assume goes to the lamp post, which I'll be removing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.