Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Moving GFCI Outlet

1. Back To Top    #1

Moving GFCI Outlet

In preparation for the Intex pool we'll be getting I need to bring a GFCI Outlet near the pool location. We currently have an existing GFCI about 10-15ft away mounted to a piece of wood. The plastic conduit is already buried and hooked up to the breaker box. The outlet was being used by the previous owner for a fountain and lamp post which we'll no longer be using.

Should I replace the outlet with a outdoor rated junction box and run new conduit underground so the outlet is closer to the pool? Could I remove what's there and extend the existing conduit underground using a splice kit?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Moving GFCI Outlet

Why not go ahead and hard plumb the pool with PVC and place the pump and filter near the existing GFCI outlet, it would probably be cheaper.

Here is one of many threads on the topic to give you some ideas

intex hard plumb - pump to 1.5 pvc
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Right in front of the current GFCI is a paver patio so I wouldn't want the pump next to it. Right behind the pool is more ideal since it will be mostly hidden.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can't splice electrical lines outside a box. Generally you can't bury a box.

So leave the existing outlet run new NM (electrical PVC) (its gray and sold in the electrical department at HD) from the existing box to a new box by the pool (at least 5 feet from the pool). They sell sweep curves so you won't have to bend anything. You can leave the current GFCI outlet where it is. You may need to change the box so it has two holes on the bottom. 3/4 inch conduit minimum. If the HC guy says 1/2 is ok tell he's correct but its your back pulling the wire. Get at least 12 gauge wire. The ground wire must be insulated. The HD guy can help with the additional parts you may need. Oh the conduit must be buried at least 18" below grade. Spend some money and cover it with 4 inches of sand. You cannot use outdoor rated buried cable -- this is a pool it all must be in conduit with an insulated ground.

Make sure you pigtail off the ground in each box and connect the ground on the plug body and the metal outdoor box use a wire nut so you don;t short to the plugs hot side
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    You can't splice electrical lines outside a box. Generally you can't bury a box.

So leave the existing outlet run new NM (electrical PVC) (its gray and sold in the electrical department at HD) from the existing box to a new box by the pool (at least 5 feet from the pool). They sell sweep curves so you won't have to bend anything. You can leave the current GFCI outlet where it is. You may need to change the box so it has two holes on the bottom. 3/4 inch conduit minimum. If the HC guy says 1/2 is ok tell he's correct but its your back pulling the wire. Get at least 12 gauge wire. The ground wire must be insulated. The HD guy can help with the additional parts you may need. Oh the conduit must be buried at least 18" below grade. Spend some money and cover it with 4 inches of sand. You cannot use outdoor rated buried cable -- this is a pool it all must be in conduit with an insulated ground.
    Thanks for the response, everything you mentioned sounds good. The box already has a second hole and conduit that I assume goes to the lamp post, which I'll be removing.