Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time doing this... am I doing it right?`

1. Back To Top    #1

Question First time doing this... am I doing it right?`

So, at long last I got my new equipment pad built, enough that I could set my equipment up anyway.
    Due to a complete rebuild of the equipment pad including new pump, I finally 'opened' the pool. (is there a specific forum to post pics of stuff like that?) I took the cover off last week and tested just the chlorine and Ph, they were surprisingly in an acceptable range. I didn't see much point in doing the full test (with my shiny new TF-100) until the water was circulating.

Here's the results I got for my first test (keep in mid this is my first time testing with the TF-100, but it's pretty straight forward I found).

Temp 20.6 (c)
    Salt 2200
    FC 0.5
    PH 7.3-7.4 ish
    TA 100
    CH 350
    CYA 0
    CC 0

the pool had been circulating about an hour at this point.

Now I'm quite sure of the FC because I did it three times (second time to be sure, third time because I didn't read ahead far enough to realize I had to use that water to test CC

Now the CYA was right at the brim when I tried it. Full disclaimer - it was almost sunset. I WILL to the 50ppm test tomorrow when it's bright with the sun at my back, then do the full test set again. The pool will have had a good 12 - 14 hours of circulation by then.

Oh. I also added a jug of 12% bleach (I think it was 12) - it was the pool stuff from walmart, because the salt is too low for my swg to kick in.

So assuming I get the same results tomorrow, obviously I need CYA and Salt, we'll see where the FC is tomorrow given my jug of bleach, but do I need to SLAM considering my CC is zero?

I'd appreciate any comments, corrections, or advice.

oh, also, since I'll go to the pool store to buy the CYA, I'm assuming I don't ACTUALLY need the 'salt water sabilizer', I just need the normal stuff (I've always suspected they were pool storing me with that 'ocean salt stabilizer and conditioner'. What do I ask for so I look like I know what I'm talking about and they don't try to SELL me something?

Thanks,
    Joey
    18x36 extended octogon IG Vinyl, ~ 110,000L (~29,000 gal)
    Jacuzzi FM24 Sand Filter, Hayward SuperPumpII 1hp
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG - IC-40
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time doing this... am I doing it right?`

Yup, just basic 4 lb jug of stabilizer/CYA from Lowes or Wallyworld will do. And get some bleach in there to bring that FC up STAT!

Before you assume you need to SLAM, consider performing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) to determine what's going on.

Here are the instructions: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, i had thought of that. I may do that tomorrow evening. Now maybe I wasn't clear, I was actually assuming that I DON'T need to SLAM. Assuming my cc is zero (or less than .5) and I pass an OCLT, then I'm in the clear right?

TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you pass the OCLT, your water is clear and your CCs are less than 0.5.. I'd say you're good to go!!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Well... The water is clear, but the OCLT went from 2.5 to 1 and the cc from 0.5 to 1.

I guess it is slam time...
    This may sound dumb, but I can slam in the rain right? I'll just get wet.

TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, the rain won't hamper your SLAM. Don't forget to adjust pH to 7.2 before you begin. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BestJoeyEver View Post
    Well... The water is clear, but the OCLT went from 2.5 to 1 and the cc from 0.5 to 1.

I guess it is slam time...
    This may sound dumb, but I can slam in the rain right? I'll just get wet.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Absolutely you can slam in the rain.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

8. Back To Top    #8

Does anyone know what the percentage of pool store chlorine usually is? It is cheaper per liter, so I'm not sure if its a good value, or just not nearly as strong.

TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

If it doesn't list the percentage on the side, I don't trust it. You could use pool math to figure it out, add x ammount, measure FC in 30 minutes and adjust the % until it matched what you test.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    You could use pool math to figure it out, add x ammount, measure FC in 30 minutes and adjust the % until it matched what you test.
    As fun as that sounds....

When I slam I should calculate the cya as whatever I have dissolving also?

Pool math says I need 7kg, but so far I've only put in 1.8kg, (one container). Mostly because that's what would fit in the sock. The girl at the pool store kept insisting I only needed 2000g to get from 0 cya to 30ppm, despite the container giving a ratio of 300g per 10k L to get to 30ppm. She begrudgingly sold me 2 containers. So that should in theory get me to 40.

So all that to say, do I slam as if I had 40ppm cya in there? (I can find another sock to put the other big of cya in).

TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I would do baby steps with the CYA. It is much easier to add than to take out. Get the first sock dissolved first. Test for CYA a few hours after the sock is empty and the water has been moving.

What CYA should the one sock full give you? THAT is your "current" CYA level as far as your tests go.

You are really getting this stuff down! Nice job! You do NOT have to buy the CYA from the Pool $tore......I buy mine at Walmart or Lowes. It is all the same really.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I haven't been able to find cya anywhere else. Canadian estimates seem to have smaller pool sections.)

What I have in the pool now, once dissolved should really only bring me to 18ppm. since it takes so long to dissolve I thought about putting them both in. That should bring me to 36, even if I'm of by an incredible factor of 2, I'd still be under 75ppm, a good target for my son right?

Do I need to wait until cya is dissolved before SLAMing? I was under the impression cya took a while to show on the test.

Also should I turn off the shelf to SLAM? If I don't, it will never drift back down to regular levels.

TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Start the SLAM now.........go out and pour in your first FC of the day then come back in finish reading this..............

Back? Okay now find another sock and put the rest of the CYA in and put it in the pool. You can squeeze the sock to help dissolve the CYA.

We have been doing some experimenting with the CYA to find out how fast it WILL show up on the test. Guess who got to squeeze two BIG socks worth into the pool? Yeap! Me LOL I squeezed in enough to get my CYA up to 40. It took me about 30 mins. of squeezing to get it all out. I let the pump run for 2 hours and tested for CYA. It was right at 40! SO now we know it will show up on the test a lot faster than we thought in the past if it is all dissolved!

"turn off the shelf"? Do you mean SWG? You can turn it off to help save the cell. You should be using chlorine/bleach to do the SLAM.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I don't have enough bleach on hand to get it up to 16 FC. I can put in 2 rds of the dose now then run to the store. Assuming that's not counter productive.

TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, first dose has been in a while. Enough cya to get me up to 36ppm in theory so that's that I based my shock value on.

Testing in about half an hour or so.

TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

I gotta say, I'm a little confused by this cya thing. I added enough to bring me up to 36ppm (according to the package) it's now sitting at 50 . I mean that's fine because I want it around 70. But it means I have to adjust me slam level.

Current
    FC 15.5
    CC 0
    Cya 50

TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Could your pool possibly be a bit smaller than you thought?

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Could your pool possibly be a bit smaller than you thought?
    I suppose it could be, but I actually thought I had under estimated it. It's a rectangular pool, but has chamfered corners, plus it's designed for diving so it's a full 8 ft deep with a very long drop off. I guess I could always make a 3D rendering

TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

There might have been SOME CYA in there but not enough to really show up on the test. It is almost impossible to see less than 30 so.........

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    There might have been SOME CYA in there but not enough to really show up on the test. It is almost impossible to see less than 30 so.........

Kim
    Hmm, that makes sense. That would explain it I suppose. I pulled the sock out and will retest in a week or so.

My FC was at 22 an hour ago, so we'll see where it is at in the morning to see if I've met the criteria to end the slam.

TF-100 Test Kit