Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: rain and the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

rain and the pool

hello all. just moved into a house with a pool, this is our first experience with one...
    i live in florida and it has been raining for 2 days straight and the pool water level is
    very high, is this ok? should i keep everything running as usual?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: rain and the pool

Hi jmedeiros and welcome

I suggest you lower the level to mid-way or so of the skimmer.

What kind of pool/equipment do you have?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It would be good to give us a bit more information about your pool and current test results. It might be good to increase your chlorine level, but since I don't know your current levels it's just guessing. But that's what many people do, in anticipation of storms/rain, increase the FC level.

Welcome
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

if you live anywhere in central florida, I wouldn't lower the water personally, as there will probably be plenty of non-rainy days that will eventually require you to add water (assuming you use the pool at all and have splash out, plus evaporation). since we're in the umpteenth year of drought (or are there just too many people here?) I am leaving my pool very full to conserve water later. if you are going to drain no matter what, I would do it just enough that the skimmer can collect the junk off the top of the water.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    if you live anywhere in central florida, I wouldn't lower the water personally, as there will probably be plenty of non-rainy days that will eventually require you to add water (assuming you use the pool at all and have splash out, plus evaporation). since we're in the umpteenth year of drought (or are there just too many people here?) I am leaving my pool very full to conserve water later. if you are going to drain no matter what, I would do it just enough that the skimmer can collect the junk off the top of the water.
    might want to drop is some because in sw Florida we are expecting rain for the rest of the week. I dropped mine some on Sunday. Otherwise it would be overflowing today.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.