New Cartridge Filter - Brand Recommendation?

jm1

Bronze Supporter
May 6, 2016
Burlingame CA
Hi All - my filter is on the way out. 146 Sq ft. is too small -- I'm cleaning too frequently -- and it leaks. It's also so old 2 pool guys have refused to repair.

My set up is inside a shed, so I'm not worried about sun damage, and I'm looking in the 320 sq. ft. range, based on my own calculations and the pool guy bid. My question is on overall quality of brands and/or bad experiences. I'm open to all the major brands, plus Waterway seems to be the pool guy favorite (both put this in their bids, but without explanation). Are there any favorites among TFP folks between Jandy, Pentair, Hayward and Waterway? Anyone worth avoiding?History of cracking containers? Bad joints?

Many thanks!
James

James,

How low is the ceiling in our shed? Something to keep in mind, because you will have to have enough room to lift the top off and not hit the ceiling.

I have a Pentair 4 Cartridge 520 and find it works well for me. I only have to clean it twice a year, once just before pool season starts, and again just after the pool season ends.

Jim R.

Thank you both! Jblizzle - that's what I needed to hear, and Jimrahbe - I appreciate the extra advice, as do 100's of lurkers here (speaking as one who does a bit of that). I have a full 8' plus rafters and the equipment rests on the floor, so I don't think I have much to worry about -- I've been more worried about the distance to the wall, but realize the filter is not bolted down and the floor does not dictate the exact position of the filter. The pump, however, is another story; I see those questions coming soon.

Again thanks for helping with brand decisions, and physical sizing of filter.

Yes, I did. A VS pump and Intermatic PS3000 surge protection to isolate any voltage scares. Waiting for arrival, and you can probably bet there will be another thread on how to hook copper pipe to PVC/CPVC. :cool:

I deliberately didn't ask the pump question, as my first post was about both, and only the pump question got any action...I was/am more worried about filter integrity and issues than pumps, as I know enough about both plumbing and electricity to ask the right questions.

When it comes to any "pool guys" recommending pool equip, filters in this case, and it's an off brand, here's what goes thru my mind:
* It's the brand they make the biggest margins
* It's the only brand they can sell too bc they are not certified to sell other major brands
* It may be a brand that they feel has the best local support, so this is what they recommend

So in essence, when someone makes a brand and model recommendation, I always ask "why that brand/model?" It's always good to ask them about some of the other major brands and their comparative models to determine if they really know the industry or if they have been trained on only one brand and are not too up to speed on all other brands.

Good luck on your filtering system and pump installs - regards, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.