Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diving Board Revival

1. Back To Top    #1
    Noblesville, IN

Diving Board Revival

Our diving board needs a bit of renovation, the fiberglass has worn off along the middle and the wood is starting to be exposed. Here's an older picture from when we moved in.

I've since power-washed it to remove the algae and other scum on it, and the wood grain is now much more visible; sorry for the poor picture, but here's a post-power wash snip of the front corner of the board:

Despite the wood starting to be exposed, the board still appears to be in good condition, no warping, no apparent loss of strength, etc.

What can be done to revitalize the board? Can we just paint it with a marine or epoxy paint? I've also seen diving board repair & resurfacing kits, but not 100% sure how they work.
    40 y/o IG L-Shaped Clayton & Lambert Diving Pool, 40K gal, SS walls, gunite floors, & auto cover
    Sta-Rite S8M150 450 sqft 125 GPM Cartridge Filter, Sta-Rite PHK2RA6E-102L 1 HP Pump
    Pentair MiniMax NT 250 DV 250K BTU Heater, Filled w/ filtered well & testing w/ TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Diving Board Revival

Is the wood bare or is there still a layer of fiberglass over it? How is the texture in the center of the board? Is it still non-slip textured?

If the wood is exposed, I would use a marine primer first. Then a topside paint. If the wood is not exposed (or after priming) I would go with a quality marine paint such as interlux brightside Interlux Brightside Polyurethane with this non-skid additive: Interlux Intergrip Non-Skid Additive
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

There are specialized diving board refinishing kits with a 2-part epoxy and non-slip additive. : Olympic Diving Board Resurfacing Kit - White Finish : Patio, Lawn Garden

I was planning on doing a board refurbish myself until we experienced a complete failure of the board at the end of last season (completely split at the free end).
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

From a person that has seen a diving board snap in half, I would replace it.

p.s. Like new diving boards can often be found on craigslist and other similar garage sale listings due to home insurance companies forcing people to remove them. My current one was even free (3rd diving board replacement for the pool in 37 years) due to someone being forced to remove it by their insurance company. The last one was still in fairly good shape, but was starting to show some cracks, and well it was free and only 2 or 3 years old.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~