After stalking the forums for awhile, I've decided to join! I purchased a home last summer with an 18x36 30,000 gallon inground pool. It was already open and we had no issues all summer other than constantly battling algae. We opened this year more than a week ago and it was a little green and cloudy but we couldn't get the pump running. After a few days, we had the sand changed in the filter and realized it was the capacitor that was the pump issue. In those few days, the pool became very green!! Pool guys said to put 8lbs of shock in and check 24-48 hours later and vacuum to waste. It got a little better with the shock but we added more. That was 2 days ago and it's still green. We have also been getting rain, which doesn't help!!
My question: do we vacuum to waste even though we can't see the floor? We've been back washing, but that's it.
Do we brush the sides or will that just stir it all up? I have no idea what to do. Help!