LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am looking for a new pump. I used Mark's spreadsheet to compare the various options. To try to make a fair comparison, for the VS pumps I plan to run them at 2 hours a day at a higher flow rate (~45gpm), and the remaining time at a lower flow rate (~20gpm). The higher flow rate would be to run my heater. For the 2-speed pump I assumed it would run 0.5 hours a day at high speed and the rest of the time on low speed. For all the pumps I targeted 1 turnover per day (which I know might be high, but seemed reasonable).

A few questions I have:
1. Why is there such a large difference in energy cost between the two MaxFlo VS pumps?
2. Is the Tri-Star really that much better than the other VS pumps?
3. Anyone have experience with the Tri-star in terms of reliability, etc...?

Attachments

• Pump Comparison.jpg
    Pump Comparison.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 149
Re: Pool Pump Energy Cost Comparison

I have the MaxFlo 1.5HP Sp2302 VSP and could not be any happier. The pump is great; very energy efficient. you don't need to run your pump for a goal of 1 turnover/day. I calculated I am turning over about ~60-66% of my volume, and my water is crystal clear. I can probably even back it down a little more.

I am interested in the Hayward Maxflo SP2303VSP because the Hayward website and the manual for this pump say it can be controlled either through Hayward automation or through 3rd party automation using relays. I believe this is a change compared to previous versions of the Maxflo VS pumps.

However, if this version is less efficient than the SP2300VSP, then it's not as attractive an option.

I am looking for a new pump. I used Mark's spreadsheet to compare the various options. To try to make a fair comparison, for the VS pumps I plan to run them at 2 hours a day at a higher flow rate (~45gpm), and the remaining time at a lower flow rate (~20gpm). The higher flow rate would be to run my heater. For the 2-speed pump I assumed it would run 0.5 hours a day at high speed and the rest of the time on low speed. For all the pumps I targeted 1 turnover per day (which I know might be high, but seemed reasonable).

A few questions I have:
1. Why is there such a large difference in energy cost between the two MaxFlo VS pumps?
2. Is the Tri-Star really that much better than the other VS pumps?
3. Anyone have experience with the Tri-star in terms of reliability, etc...?
There are a couple of issues that I found.

For the MaxFlo, there are now three versions, SP2300, SP2302 & SP2303/SP23115VSP. The last two being the only ones offered on Haywards site. What is interesting, according to the test data, is that the SP2303 is a little less efficient than the other two. It has a lower head curve but a bigger motor which is just opposite of what you might expect. They may of had thermal issues with the other two so they increased the motor size and downsized the impeller. At least that is what I gather from the test data data. So the SP2303 is a little less efficient than the older pumps.

As for the TriStar, I think you are using the data from the APSP and it looks like that might some errors in it. If you choose the dataset from the EnergyStar DB, it looks like the energy use is more reasonable. I have updated the spreadsheet DB (v15) as well so the pump names have model#'s where appropriate so you can tell apart some of the VS models. You might want to download that so you are working with the latest version.

Thanks, Mark. I really appreciate the support.

Maybe you can help me a little more with my dilemma. I am looking get a new pump. My current motor is wearing out and the wet end of my current pump is in rough shape. Using your spreadsheet, I tried to calculate what the flowrate through my system would be with a 1hp 2-speed pump (SuperFlo). I estimate that on low speed it would be around 34gpm. My heater needs 25gpm minimum, so the 2-speed pump on low should be enough flow, but if there are some errors in the calculations, then I might need to run on high speed for the heater. Which would mean I'd need some sort of automation, and if I'm going to go through that hassle, I figure I should at least consider a variable speed pump.

So, my questions are:
1) Is the 1hp SuperFlo 2-speed pump a good option for me (p/n 340042)? If not, what would you recommend?
2) Would that pump give me at least 30gpm on low speed?
3) I calculate that I could save about $60/yr using a VS pump vs. a 2-speed. The savings would be running the VS pump @ 1000rpm the majority of the time vs. running the 2-speed at 1725rpm. But if I go this route, I would likely need some sort of automation to have the pump run at higher speed when the heater is running. I'm thinking the additional complexity of the VS pump isn't worth it if I can get the needed flow rate for the heater with the 2-speed running on low.

Attachments

• Pump Flow.jpg
    Pump Flow.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 104
So what size multi-port valve do you have on the filter? 1.5" or 2" or is it a push-pull. You don't have anything set for that. It doesn't matter that much but I just want to as accurate as possible.

I do get about the same as you do in terms of flow rate(68 GPM with a 1.5" Multi-Port and 29 GPM for the SuperFlo). My best estimate is that in most cases. the spreadsheet does fairly well and better than 5% but in some cases 10% depending on what is not known. But if you want to be a little more accurate, you could get a suction gauge and measure the suction level at the pump and use the PSIVAC2GPM tab.

1) If it can produce the flow rate you need, that would be a good choice.
2) Unknown yet, see above
3) Maybe not UNLESS, your local power company give rebates. If that can pay the difference then maybe.

Regarding #2, most heater turn on and off with a pressure switch. The flow rate does not necessarily mean that you hit the pressure on the switch. That depends on the pressure at the heater itself. They use flow rate as guideline but it is really pressure that matters. Plus those switches do have adjustments where you can lower the threshold of the switch a little bit to get it to work. They are really trying to detect if there is flow rate or not and a pressure switch is a very easy way to that.

Hopefully, I haven't confused you more but I just wanted to make sure you understood have everything works before making a decision.

My DE filter is one of those cartridge type ones that you take out and hose off, so there is no backwash valve.

Also, I am planning to switch to the Hayward swim clear 4030 (425 sq. ft. Cartridge). So, that should improve my flow rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the same time I had my max flow sp2302vsp installed I had a FlowVis Flow Meter installed. I find it to be extremely helpful in that it allows me to know exactly what GPM I am getting at different RPMs. If you're redoing some of your plumbing, I recommend throwing this on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.