Summer start up, Cloudy, No Free Chlorine

Jun 9, 2016
Eaton Rapids, MI
My husband and I have opened our pool for the 3rd summer. We still don't have a great routine or method to clearing the water. Last year we used Trichlor shock and tabs and maintained a clear pool within a week and kept it clear most of the year until we had mustard algae and pink spots.

This summer we left the winter cover on an additional 2 weeks in hot weather (upper 70's-80's). It was much darker green than prior years. Our opening levels were TC 0, FC 0, TA 80, pH 6.8, CYA 0. We added pH up and 6 lbs of Trichlor 99% shock. Overall color lightened slightly.

We then took our sample to a pool store. There readings were TC 2.6, FC 0, TA 84, pH 7.2, CYA 14. They recommended we add 25lbs of baking soda and 2 lbs of BurnOut lithium shock. This seemed to again make the water slightly less green, but still very cloudy. Cannot see the 4' shallow end bottom.

Readings the following day were TC 0.5, FC 0, TA 240, pH 6.8, CYA 0 (our strips don't differentiate until >30). We added pH up to get it to 7.2, then added another 6 lbs of Trichlor shock and 4 gallons of liquid bleach. The TC was up to 8-10 ish on our strips about 2 hrs after this. The following morning the TC = 1, FC 0, pH 6.8. The pool doesn't appear green anymore, but cloudy enough I still can't see the bottom even shallow end.

The pool has been open 7 days. I plan to take another sample to the pool store today to ensure my readings aren't off. At this point I'm not sure if I should be pursuing non chlorine options assuming we have a large amount of combined chlorine, or should I continue to shock trying to break 10ppm consistently?? If we shock I wasn't sure if I should keep using Trichlor, or get liquid from the pool store? Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas are greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

I have purchased a TF100 kit and will await it's arrival. In the meantime we have a few chlorine tabs in the pool so the total doesn't drop below zero. I am afraid of algae growing back. I see no signs of green algae now, just white and cloudy. Should we wait to shock again until we get the kit and find out what our numbers are, and if we have a high amount of combined chlorine? Or anything else we should be doing in the meantime? Thank you for the reply.

You might want to consider taking the tabs out which will be adding CYA and using bleach or liquid chlorine until your test kit arrives. Put in 1/2 gallon a day until you accurately gauge the necessary levels.

And stay away from the Pool Store!!;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.