Vinyl in pool feels like sandpaper

Jun 9, 2016
Warren Michigan
Hi everyone...im new at this site. Im having scaling problems with my AG intex pool vinyl18x48 intex sand filter pump 3000gph. I went to pool store to get my water tested. They said everything was normal besides my stabalizer. I put 2lb like the lady said in nylon tired it to the ladder 2 days later my pool is still cloudy and sides still feel like sandpaper. The pool placed was shocked that my vinyl felt like sandpaper when my hardness was fine. I also been scrubbing the sides with the scrub brush no luck...
Im so overwhelmed...feel like giving up..
FC 0.17
TC 0.56
CC 0.39
PH 7.8
Hardness 215
Alkalinity 108
CA 1
Copper 0
Iron 0
Phosphate 159.86ppb

My test from pool store.

Welcome to TFP!

Your problem is likely your pH being so high. If you'll carefully lower it with muriatic acid you may find the calcium goes back into the water.

Does your water supply have that same calcium level, or have you been using powdered shock with calcium? If your water supply is lower hardness, you may be best to just empty and refill the pool and avoid calcium products in the future.

Welcome to TFP!

Lower your PH to 7.2 to 7.4 and brush the pool daily. That should take care of the scale.

Your chlorine is too low. Keep it at 4 ppm.
How are you chlorinating the pool?
Keep squeezing that knee high to help dissolve the CYA.

My ph is down to 7.2 chlorine is at 3ppm
Still nothing...i use hth powder chlorine. i did empty the pool and refilled it this summer..im using hth super shock treatment i dont know if it has calcium in it. Im using the same chemicals i used last summer. Did not have this problem last year :( Water supply said my calcium level was 215 which she said was good that she dont know why my sides feel like sandpaper. Also its so cloudy and sometimes it looks like there is soap floating on top of the water and in the skimmer there will be foam. :( should i shock it again?

I can't zoom in over the product to see it well enough, but if you could confirm the "active ingredients" are calcium hypochlorite and something else?
the calcium attached to the hypo(chlorine) is what is making your water cloudy.

Don't shock again. Pick up some bleach 10%(6 gallons) for chlorinating pools and some "stabilizer" CYA, cynuaric acid to protect your chlorine.

It will probably take several weeks of brushing to remove the scale.

CH at 215 is fine.

There are 3 kinds of powdered shock
Dichlor, contains chlorine and CYA
Trichlor, contains chlorine and CYA
Cal-hypo, Contains chlorine and calcium (CH)

If you are using cal-hypo that could cause the cloudiness, if it is it will clear up in a couple of days.

In my powder shock in the active ingredient there is calcium hypo 56.44%

So this is my problem?
What is a good brand of shock to use?
And chlorine?

Now what do i do now? Get the bleach 10% 6 gallons put that in. i put CYA 4days ago.
Could my powder chlorine have the calcium hypo?
Thank you everyone for ur help. :)

In my powder shock in the active ingredient there is calcium hypo 56.44%

So this is my problem?
What is a good brand of shock to use?
And chlorine?

Now what do i do now? Get the bleach 10% 6 gallons put that in. i put CYA 4days ago.
Could my powder chlorine have the calcium hypo?
Thank you everyone for ur help. :)

Don't add all the bleach at once.
I recommend getting some for a few weeks of treatment, you'll probably need ~1/2gal a day until the CYA on your pool is in range 30-40.
If you're serious about getting the pool under control, buy the test kit offered from this site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.