Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please Manual Clean Your DE Grids.

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Manual Clean Your DE Grids.

I'll admit I haven't taken my DE filter apart for about 3 years now, mind you I only backwash and recharge the thing once maybe twice per season. I have a mesh safety cover and more laziness stopped me from adding chlorine during the winter, so I started with basically a swamp this years. The filter just wasn't working as fast as in years past, so I broke the thing apart and man I wish I had taken some pictures. It is insane how much DE is left behind even after a vigorous back-washing session. There were just huge clumps of DE some almost top to bottom in between all the inside grids, so please take the word of a lazy guy, get off your butt and manual clean your filter at least once per season.
    26K Gallon, IG vinyl
    1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, DE Filter 36 SqFt
    Older than time TELEDYNE LAARS HEATER (removed from system for now)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please Manual Clean Your DE Grids.

I totally agree. Even after just one backwash cycle there seems to be a lot of DE left over.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I've pretty much switched to breakdown cleaning mine every time. I was doing it once a season, then started doing it spring and fall. I noticed that it was still pretty bad. Since I start a breakdown by backwashing first, it shows how much you don't get out by just backwashing. I notice that the pressure drops more after a full cleaning and that it stays down longer. I guess it really isn't that much more work than those who have a cartridge filter. Same process, just more mess with the DE.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    I've pretty much switched to breakdown cleaning mine every time. I was doing it once a season, then started doing it spring and fall. I noticed that it was still pretty bad. Since I start a breakdown by backwashing first, it shows how much you don't get out by just backwashing. I notice that the pressure drops more after a full cleaning and that it stays down longer. I guess it really isn't that much more work than those who have a cartridge filter. Same process, just more mess with the DE.
    Yea I'm thinking of doing the same thing from now on. Plus no matter where I back wash I get some DE sitting in low spots on the lawn. The last thing I want to do is run over all that DE with the lawn mower kicking it all up in the air and breathing it in. When I take the grids out I can wash them in the street and the DE all runs down the storm drain. I also try and schedule my cleanings before heavy rain fall so that any DE that is left over, be it in the street or lawn is washed away.
    26K Gallon, IG vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5

I scrape what I can down into the bottom section of the filter before pulling the grids out. Then I scoop all that out and let it dry some before double trash bagging it.

I still see sections of uncovered grid though. Haven't nailed the coverage yet. Guess I could slowly add DE until the pressure starts moving up.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeChris View Post
    I scrape what I can down into the bottom section of the filter before pulling the grids out. Then I scoop all that out and let it dry some before double trash bagging it.

I still see sections of uncovered grid though. Haven't nailed the coverage yet. Guess I could slowly add DE until the pressure starts moving up.

How are you adding the DE are you making a slurry by mixing it with water first or adding the powder straight to the skimmer? I'm kind of mixed on which works best in my setup as I have tried both. Though I would not recommend dumping the dry DE right in if you don't have at least 2 skimmers. I actually keep both my skimmers open during slurry or dry loading as I personally feel it promotes better mixture of the DE and hopefully better grid coverage.
    26K Gallon, IG vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

I have tried both as well. Slurry last year, shake through skimmer this year. Can't really tell how well it worked until next year's disassembly, that's the downside.

When I did the slurry last year, after a partial refill, I shut off the main drain and started before the water level was high enough, so I ran the skimmer dry. And forgot to shut off the venturi return. Had to stop, adjust, wait, etc, so it wasn't a very good job by me of adding the slurry, so I won't knock that method until I can do it cleanly.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir