Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: R-0012 drop size

1. Back To Top    #1

R-0012 drop size

I did some searching and have found others mentioning this issue. I understand the static issue, but it is not in reference to R-0012. My CH is showing VERY high, but the R-0012 drops are MUCH smaller than any of the other droppers in the kit. They're tiny, and come out in very quick spurts if I'm not careful. In fact, just inverting the bottle causes 4-5 drops to come out almost instantly no matter how gently I hold the bottle. I'm naturally counting these small drops, so I'm wondering if that is what it pushing my CH results so high. Any ideas?
    Jason - Mobile, AL

~ 10 year-old 25,000 Gallon IG with Spillover Spa, Plaster, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward pump, Second pump for spa and blower, booster pump for Polaris
    Old Polaris control system, City Water system, non-working gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: R-0012 drop size

New kit or refill? TFTestkits has a big to report
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

This is my first kit
    Jason - Mobile, AL

~ 10 year-old 25,000 Gallon IG with Spillover Spa, Plaster, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward pump, Second pump for spa and blower, booster pump for Polaris

4. Back To Top    #4

Just followed that link, and checked my bottles. They all look correct, yet my R-0012 drops come out at least half the size of everything else.
    Jason - Mobile, AL

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason, I know what you are saying about the drops of that liquid not coming out like the other vials. That blue reagent seems to be thicker than the others and kind of "hangs onto" the tip before dropping out. It almost appears gooey. The drops do appear to be smaller.

But I have never had the issue where it starts to pour out immediately like you described.

Perhaps try removing a tip from one of your other bottles (rinse it well) and place on the R-0012 bottle. See if it acts the same way. Perhaps for whatever reason the hole on the tip of yours got punctured larger or something.

EDIT: I just realized you were asking about the calcium reagent. What I was describing above is the R-0011 is the blue Calcium indicator. My bad. Please ignore. But try the test of switching caps anyway.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

6. Back To Top    #6

I was having the same issue with the R-0012 for CH test as well. I started wiping it off with a damp paper towel after every drop and it hasn't been much of a problem the past couple of weeks. The drops are noticeably bigger than before, and my tests since have been more consistent.
    DFW, Texas, 24,337 gallons, IG, plaster, 1.5 HP Jandy (90 GPM), Jandy cartridge filter (580 sq. ft), Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, built 2012, TF100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like I do have the wrong tips on a couple of the other TF bottles. Perhaps that's why my comparisons have been all off, but my CH is probably accurate (due to all the scaling and hard water line issues I have).
    Jason - Mobile, AL