Any Use for Old Apollo VA-52 DE Filter Parts and DE?

Jun 30, 2015
Washington/DC
When I had my pool opened this year, the bolt holding the tank clamp was stripped and broke off. Given it was integrated in the tank clamp, it would have required a ~$150 replacement tank clamp. The filter is likely nearly 40 years old; so along with a number of other reasons I opted to replace it. Is there any value in the other parts to this (e.g., the filter grids are in good shape...no idea how old they are, but they look great)? Just wondering if I should haul it off to the junkyard or if there is any value there to help offset the cost of my new pump. I imagine there is not much value as my pool guy was not eager to take it, but thought I would at least ask before I carted it off.

On a related note, any use for old DE? I converted to a sand filter, and I've read about people adding DE to their sand filter, but my water doesn't look any less sparkling with the sand filter than it did with the old DE filter. I hate to toss it, but does it go bad if for some reason I wanted/needed to add DE to my sand down the road?

De can be added to your sand filter to help clean a little finer... as far as old parts unless you know someone that has one or you can try to place on craigslist :)

If you know someone with a DE filter you can give it to them. You can place the filter parts and DE curbside and let someone just take them or offer them for free on a community bulletin board.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.