Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any Use for Old Apollo VA-52 DE Filter Parts and DE?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any Use for Old Apollo VA-52 DE Filter Parts and DE?

When I had my pool opened this year, the bolt holding the tank clamp was stripped and broke off. Given it was integrated in the tank clamp, it would have required a ~$150 replacement tank clamp. The filter is likely nearly 40 years old; so along with a number of other reasons I opted to replace it. Is there any value in the other parts to this (e.g., the filter grids are in good shape...no idea how old they are, but they look great)? Just wondering if I should haul it off to the junkyard or if there is any value there to help offset the cost of my new pump. I imagine there is not much value as my pool guy was not eager to take it, but thought I would at least ask before I carted it off.

On a related note, any use for old DE? I converted to a sand filter, and I've read about people adding DE to their sand filter, but my water doesn't look any less sparkling with the sand filter than it did with the old DE filter. I hate to toss it, but does it go bad if for some reason I wanted/needed to add DE to my sand down the road?
    28,000 gallon in-ground freeform plaster pool with attached built-in spa
    Sta-Rite DuraGlass single speed 1HP pump - P2RA5E (Age Unknown)
    Pentair Tagelus 60d ClearPro sand filter (May 2016)
    Polaris PB4-60 booster pump (June 2014) for Polaris 280 (Age Unknown)
    Raypak propane heater (Age Unknown)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Any Use for Old Apollo VA-52 DE Filter Parts and DE?

De can be added to your sand filter to help clean a little finer... as far as old parts unless you know someone that has one or you can try to place on craigslist
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

If you know someone with a DE filter you can give it to them. You can place the filter parts and DE curbside and let someone just take them or offer them for free on a community bulletin board.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I will take those grids off your hands, DRobbva. I'll pay for shipping!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by sdemdouglas View Post
    I will take those grids off your hands, DRobbva. I'll pay for shipping!
    Please take this to private messaging.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon