Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leave Solar Cover on while on vacation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wichita KS

Leave Solar Cover on while on vacation?

Thanks to all you good people here at TFP, we have enjoyed our very first pool for a month now with beautiful water. I have never been "Pool Stored" and feel I have the water balancing down!
    My question is this: we are leaving on vacation for several days starting tonight. Checked everything this morning, and I have my FC up to 13 in preparation for being gone. I've been leaving the solar cover on while not in use, and was planning on leaving it on while we're gone to minimize FC loss, but the water temp is already 90 degrees and it's supposed to be in the upper 90's here while gone. I know the solar cover doesn't really heat the water but help to retain the heat. But I've noticed the top layer of the water gets REALLY HOT with the cover on. Should I be concerned with the water getting too hot? Can the heat at the top cause me any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Coleman 18'x48' AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 2800GPH
    Intex SWG
    **Under Construction** :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leave Solar Cover on while on vacation?

I leave mine on all the time.I will flip the cover over a little to let heat escape on hot days

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Edmond OK

Re: Leave Solar Cover on while on vacation?

I'd leave it on. Besides saving your FC, your pool will stay cleaner too.
    6000 gal Intex 16'x48" Ultra frame AG
    Splapool 4500 GPH 1 hp pump w/19" sand filter
    Intex Krystalclear SWG EC8110
    Hayward Dyna-skim
    Intex Auto Robot "Wally"