Solar Cover

When I made the switch the BBB method, I stopped putting my solar cover on because I wasn't sure if it would handle it, I was adding bleach almost every day or other day and it was a pain to put on and off and on and off by myself. I ruined my prior cover by shocking the pool with the cover on, the thing basically disintegrated into little plastic pieces.

So I don't ruin this one, is there a safe Chlorine level I can have and still leave my cover on without worry its going to go kaput?

Interesting question, I wonder if your cover wasn't very good. I've run mine up to 15ppm without issue on 3 different covers. The covers do not usually last more than 3 years and if left out all winter they fail quickly. I've tried multiple price point covers, the thinner cheap ones seem to last just as long as the thicker ones and they are much lighter.

There was a time cover manufacturers included that foil cover that pool stores now charge extra for. If you are not using a foil cover over your rolled up cover that is sitting in the direct sun, expect a few years before it starts falling apart. I know of people with 10 plus year old "3 year" covers that are still in good condition. And this is why.

By all reports from most people any solar cover will last 2-3 years and then do what yours did. That is why we recommend the thinnest cheapest cover you can find. I use 8mil, clear. As soon as the dots show up put it in the recycle bin. Using TFPC and bleach will not shorten the life.

Hmm. Good to know. The store originally told me it was cause I left the cover on while shocking. At that time I had no clue how old the cover was as it came with the house when I bought it. I guess I should count myself lucky that my existing cover has lasted longer than three years... Well last year it spent it's time in the garage

The sun and being pulled on and off kills the covers long before any chemicals can get to them. Covers are harmed the most if they are taken off the pool and not stored either in the shade or covered up (and extreamly dry if being removed for a long period of time). There is a green house effect causing them to get excesivly hot, things can start to grow and they can tear easly while they are so pliable.

Think of it this way the chemicals we are useing are stored in verry high concentrations in plastic without a problem so even at slam levels the folating cover is not exposed to much by comparrison. I don't take my cover off when adding chems I peal back a section near a return and pour into the stream then put the Polaris on for a bit and let him mix up anything that sinks to the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.