Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool over sewer line

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool over sewer line

Any concerns with setting up 14 x 42 pool over sewer line? I live in older home with older pipes had root issues in past but not for a very long time. So sewer pipe is possibly 50-60 years old. I have limited space in my yard with sewer line running in center of lawn. I can move it over a bit towards fence but would prefer to not have it too close to fence didn't know if anyone has any advice about pool sitting over underground sewer line.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool over sewer line

if you had roots in your lateral and haven't had to worry about it again for quite a while, you are probably due soon for an incident. It might be worth paying someone to inspect your lateral with a snake/camera first, but that may be more than you want to spend. Either way, I'd want to be sure I wasn't going to have to dig that sewer line up anytime soon. I don't think the pressure from the pool is going to matter as much as the fact that you are making it harder to get to if service is needed.

If you had roots in your lateral and had it cabled to get it cleared out, the roots are still growing in there, they were just trimmed back. Cabling is now a routine maintenance item on your house until you replace the lateral. Or you can wait till it clogs, of course.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

3. Back To Top    #3

Well its been probably 5-6 years and we keep up with treating the line with root x. It has been inspected in that time frame and no problems found. My main concern was the pressure from the pool over the line and didn't see anyone else mention this before. Cabling before was done through a basement clean out only access to the pipe so access in the event of an issue is no problem.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The weight of the pool spread over the surface area of the perimeter equates to around 200 lbs PSF where the sewer pipe runs. Couple that with weight displacement within the surrounding soil and you'd be very unlikely to have an issue.

I figured the weight off of 4' depth so if the pool is less than that, you are in even better shape.

Is it a clay pipe?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page