When adding salt to the pool

tlevy

Jun 3, 2015
Ottawa/Ontario
I am getting mixed messages about whether the SWG needs to be shut off when adding salt ro the pool. I am about to add 20 kg of salt to top up my salt levels. Some folks suggest turning of the generator for 24 hrs, running pump for 24 hrs, them turning SWG on, and continue to run pump for a further 24 hrs. My sense is this would make sense if I am adding 10 or so 20 kilo bags, but with a single bag this seems like overkill.

Thoughts? What am I missing?

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

If you have a main drain, I would suggest turning the cell off for about an hour because the salt is heavier than water and will sink to the lowest spot. The main drain will suck in the extra salty water and could overamp the system.

My process is I dump all the salt I need at the time on the top step of the shallow end. Its a free form pool with all curved edges. So I can now sweep the salt along the wall in the shallow end where it is easier to brush. As it is dissolving I will start to brush it down the slope toward the deep end. By the time I get it to the deep end it is all but gone. I will leave my main drain off just in case during this process. Full suction via the skimmers.

I agree the SWG off thing makes more sense when adding a LOT of salt.

I have added in a few bags with everything running. I just put them in the shallow end (for the kids to play with) away from the floor drain and the skimmer so the salt is well mixed before getting pulled into the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.