Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When adding salt to the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

When adding salt to the pool

I am getting mixed messages about whether the SWG needs to be shut off when adding salt ro the pool. I am about to add 20 kg of salt to top up my salt levels. Some folks suggest turning of the generator for 24 hrs, running pump for 24 hrs, them turning SWG on, and continue to run pump for a further 24 hrs. My sense is this would make sense if I am adding 10 or so 20 kilo bags, but with a single bag this seems like overkill.

Thoughts? What am I missing?

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When adding salt to the pool

I think you'll be fine leaving it on for a single bag add. I do it.
    _____
    18k gal in-ground plaster pool+spa, 2HP Jandy pump, 460 sqft Jandy cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 SWG,
    3/4HP cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy LX heater, 2HP air blower, FlowVis check valve, iAqualink, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Especially if you brush a little to dissolve it quicker.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I always do a good "manual mix" with the brush. Seems to be benign enough with just one bag. Thanks for the reassurance all!

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have a main drain, I would suggest turning the cell off for about an hour because the salt is heavier than water and will sink to the lowest spot. The main drain will suck in the extra salty water and could overamp the system.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't have a main drain. One skimmer, two returns.

7. Back To Top    #7

I leave the SWG on when adding only one bag, but I always brush the salt I see settling on the floor. I turn off my main drain and use skimmer only.
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

My process is I dump all the salt I need at the time on the top step of the shallow end. Its a free form pool with all curved edges. So I can now sweep the salt along the wall in the shallow end where it is easier to brush. As it is dissolving I will start to brush it down the slope toward the deep end. By the time I get it to the deep end it is all but gone. I will leave my main drain off just in case during this process. Full suction via the skimmers.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree the SWG off thing makes more sense when adding a LOT of salt.

I have added in a few bags with everything running. I just put them in the shallow end (for the kids to play with) away from the floor drain and the skimmer so the salt is well mixed before getting pulled into the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!