Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Tulsa, OK

Sand Filter issues

Okay, we had an issue filtering the water. All numbers were in the acceptable range but pool was cloudy. Added DE to filter. Pool got crystal clear minus some sand,dirt, debris on the bottom. Now we have vaccumed the pool and it seems the filter is just spitting it back into the pool. It is a very fine sand almost dust.
    Should I use a clarifier to clump it out and catch it?
    Until I can take apart the filter and service the sand check for lateral damage?
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Sand Filter issues

Have you backwashed the DE out of the filter yet? Have you added new sand to the filter recently? You can check the laterals for damage. I would drain the filter of water and let it dry for a while, then you can more easily vacuum (shop vac) out the sand and inspect the laterals. You can reuse the same sand.

Clarifiers won't help you long term (or even short term) if your filter is spewing dust.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons