Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone Bypass their chlorinator?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone Bypass their chlorinator?

So I still use trichlor in my chlorinator. Why because it is easy and we have a short season here. I still use the tfp methods and make adjustments with 8.25% bleach as needed. Right now my chlorine is a little high at 13. my CYA is 50 so my target is 7-8. I know I can safely swim at 13. I run the chlorinator at the lowest setting and my pool runs 3x a day for 4 hours on low speed.

Since there is not a way to turn off chlorination short of removing the cartridge has anyone ever made a bypass?
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone Bypass their chlorinator?

Nice work! That is the right way to manage your pool. Testing and understanding your numbers and adding what you need.

I've never seen anyone bypass it but you could add a 3way valve in front of it to split the flow and tee back in on the other side. What if you only put in 1 puck at a time and let it drift down a bit in between adding another?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Nice work! That is the right way to manage your pool. Testing and understanding your numbers and adding what you need.

I've never seen anyone bypass it but you could add a 3way valve in front of it to split the flow and tee back in on the other side. What if you only put in 1 puck at a time and let it drift down a bit in between adding another?
    Thanks poodv! That's kind of what I was thinking. The unit I have takes a cartridge with 1" trichlor and a mineral cartridge that I DO NOT use.
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Good thinking!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like you have some kind of system similar to the old Pool Frog I had on my pool. I cut mine out and replaced it with a T section to put my Stenner pump injector. The old Pool Frog took up so much room on the pad, I'm using the reclaimed space to put my chemical bucket. If I had had one of the standard 3" chlorine puck feeders, I would have kept it to use if if I ever wanted to, or if I ever sell the house.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

6. Back To Top    #6

I just let mine run empty and add bleach as necessary. When we go on vacation in fill up the chlorinated or when cyan is low in addition pucks. Otherwise it is empty.

16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

7. Back To Top    #7

[QUOTE=HoleInOne;1055467]I just let mine run empty and add bleach as necessary. When we go on vacation i fill up the chlorinator or when cya is low i add pucks. Otherwise it is empty.

16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

8. Back To Top    #8

My chlorinator tube has a lever for 1-5 or off. I've left it off ever since I discovered TFP.
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ours runs empty, well from pucks anyway . We actually just plumbed our new Stenner into it!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit