Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool step leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool step leak

I married into my pool and my husband has never been the one to deal with it so he's not a big help other than physical labor.
    I have an in ground pool and this is my first. My issue is that I have a leak in my pool step gasket.
    My story, The pool was not used or covered for 5 + years. I did a drain and clean and it is sparkling. . When I filled to the steps it started leaking. It is the entire step area that will not hold water . Everything below that holds perfectly. I have had someone give an estimate on replacing the liner ($2300) and steps ($3000) but I think it is just the gasket.
    I need to know if anyone has replaced a step gasket... Is there any videos or pics with step gaskets being replaced? Where do I start in this process. Would much rather replace the ($10) gasket than the entire liner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool step leak

If you could post a picture of your steps area, that would help a lot. You should be able to only replace the gasket or anchor rail to fix the problem as long as the liner is in good shape.

Also, fill out your forum signature with the details of your pool here: Edit Signature

In your forum profile, please add a state to your city. Knowing your region can help us give better advice, if or when you need advice on that front.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

IMG_20160609_150645.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20160609_150605.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The liner is in good condition. (4-5 years old) Please excuse the mess on the steps. With pool not holding water, I have not cleaned.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have not replaced the gasket personally, but if you remove the anchor plates, then you can inspect the liner to make sure there is no tear or hole where it shouldn't be. Then you can replace the gaskets and reinstall the anchoring strips. I would do them all while you're at it... The only tricky part is getting the liner back in place with the anchor strips removed. If you could do one side at a time, that might make it more manageable.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

So when I removed the first few screws of the anchor plate I found there was no gasket to begin with..... I have no idea how it held before. I'm closing it up and going to get my gaskets now. Should I drain the water off of the area before trying to get the anchor plates removed??
    Stephanie Carden, Rockford Alabama.
    16x32 in ground* 25k gallon* Vinyl liner * fiberglass steps
    Concrete surrounding area.
    Hayward S-220T Filter and Pump
    Inline Chlorine feeder

6. Back To Top    #6

I assumed the area was drained based on the pictures. If not, I would drain at least a few inches below the bottom plate so it's easier to work in the area. There is always a risk of the liner wrinkling when you lower the water this much, but it's a necessary risk to fix the leak.

7. Back To Top    #7

It is drained (or leaked) to the bottom of the steps so I was thinking about just a few inches but wanted to be sure. Thanks so much and I hope to be swimming this weekend.
    Inline Chlorine feeder

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chappell.stef View Post
    It is drained (or leaked) to the bottom of the steps so I was thinking about just a few inches but wanted to be sure. Thanks so much and I hope to be swimming this weekend.
    Any update? Curious to learn how this went.

9. Back To Top    #9

Got the parts will be doing the work this weekend.I will post update as soon as I am done. Wish me luck!
    Inline Chlorine feeder

10. Back To Top    #10

Very happy to report, with the holes under the anchor plate patched, the gasket in place and the right amountnof Lexel Silicone in place. It seems to be fixed. Now let's add some water pressure and keep our fingers crossed.
    Inline Chlorine feeder