Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump keeps shutting off

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump keeps shutting off

Good morning everyone.

Basically, when I turn on the pump it stops a few seconds later (sometimes in 10-15 seconds). The pump simply turns off. Also, when it starts, it is making a noise that is louder than usual.

To get it back working, I need to reset the circuit breaker in my basement for the pump.

Do I need to replace it? Can I just replace the motor?

If so any recommendations of brand, HP, etc.?

I don't feel that comfortable taking it apart to check the unit, i but i have read it is easy to replace myself.

I have Hayward 1.5 HP, 1 Speed (Model SP2610X15) for my 34,000+ gallon vinyl free forming pool. I do have a waterfall, but it is rarely used.

I truly appreciate the advice
    34,000+ gallons, Vinyl free forming pool; Hayward 24 inch Sand Filter (Model S244T); Hayward 1.5 HP 1 Speed (Model SP2610X15), Jandy Pro Series Gas Heater (Model LRZ400EN), New York

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump keeps shutting off

Since it's tripping the breaker I'd consider replacing the pump. You can replace just the motor, but since it's a single speed, I'd consider upgrading to a 2-speed model. Especially if it's a few years old.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    Since it's tripping the breaker I'd consider replacing the pump. You can replace just the motor, but since it's a single speed, I'd consider upgrading to a 2-speed model. Especially if it's a few years old.
    what are benefits of 2 speed. If I get a 2 speed do I need a new pump and motor?

any recommendations of brands/model if I do get a 2 speed?

thanks for advice
    34,000+ gallons, Vinyl free forming pool; Hayward 24 inch Sand Filter (Model S244T); Hayward 1.5 HP 1 Speed (Model SP2610X15), Jandy Pro Series Gas Heater (Model LRZ400EN), New York

4. Back To Top    #4

It will save energy and still keep the pool circulated and filtered.

Since you have a Hayward Super Pump you could go back with another Super Pump and wouldn't have to change any plumbing. The SP2610X152S would work.

- - - Updated - - -

You could just change the motor to a 2-speed model if he wet end is in good shape. You'll need seal and gaskets if you do that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    It will save energy and still keep the pool circulated and filtered.

Since you have a Hayward Super Pump you could go back with another Super Pump and wouldn't have to change any plumbing. The SP2610X152S would work.

- - - Updated - - -

You could just change the motor to a 2-speed model if he wet end is in good shape. You'll need seal and gaskets if you do that.
    How do I even determine if the wet end is in good shape? is changing seal and gaskets difficult? I am handy, but not too handy.

6. Back To Top    #6

If it's been pumping well then it's probably good. You can pull the casing off and look at the impeller and casing to see if there's any wear. If not then it's probably worth replacing the motor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator