After a few hours of the pump keeps running, but the water stop circulating!?

Aug 17, 2014
westfield
Have a 15 x 30 above ground pool to horsepower two speed water pump and sand filter. Hadn't noticed it before because I thought it was the timer going off during the time I get home from work. Yesterday I noticed that after about three hours of the pumping on, the pump continues to run but the water stop circulating! If I flip the switch and turn the pump off and then back on, the water start circulating again.

Any idea why this would be happening and how to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your pump curve will have a dead-head pressure where the flow will drop to zero at that pump head. So too much head to pump against (dirty filter) will do it. Also, a clogged impeller can significantly change your pump curve so it doesn't take much pressure to get there. Especially at low speed.

I would at least start with checking the impeller to eliminate that cause.

Here's a picture of the pump+ filter I took when I was opening the pool.
9196584eb6231bfdd9b14e0dc72e7c0b.jpg

In your other post, you had algae. Are you regularly back washing your filter as it could be clogging in 3 hours. Are you sure the pressure gauge is working if you are using that to determine backwash?

In your other post, you had algae. Are you regularly back washing your filter as it could be clogging in 3 hours. Are you sure the pressure gauge is working if you are using that to determine backwash?
sure, no. It seems to be as it goes to zero with pump off and goes up a few lb over a few weeks (last year, this year hasn't even been a week yet. Let me know if there is something else I should be looking for. Thx

sure, no. It seems to be as it goes to zero with pump off and goes up a few lb over a few weeks (last year, this year hasn't even been a week yet. Let me know if there is something else I should be looking for. Thx
I had an extremely low flow problem myself recently so I pulled off the motor and checked the impeller. It was clogged with grass. That can fit through the skimmer baskets and pump baskets. I pulled it out, slid the motor back on and everything ran great after that.

After reading a bunch of posts, I'm wondering if I have an air leak or the impeller has debris! From what I've read, 6 psi seems awfully low. I'm going to look and the impeller hopefully later today. Anything else I should look at? How would I check for other air leaks?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm an idiot! The PSI that I referred to above was when the pump was on low. When it's at high-speed it to 12 to 13 PSI, which seems more normal.The water is now more cloudy than green. Seems like the pump stayed on overnight on low. I back washed it for about 5 min last night. So maybe that was it. Fingers crossed!

I'm an idiot! The PSI that I referred to above was when the pump was on low. When it's at high-speed it to 12 to 13 PSI, which seems more normal.The water is now more cloudy than green. Seems like the pump stayed on overnight on low. I back washed it for about 5 min last night. So maybe that was it. Fingers crossed!

So you were definately deadheading your pump on low speed. Here is a link on some Hayward pumps and all of them only have a capability of pumping 13-17 feet, even at zero flow. That's about 5.6 to 7.4 psi, so you were right at the capability of the pump.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literature/MaxFloIISS2011.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.