Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: After a few hours of the pump keeps running, but the water stop circulating!?

1. Back To Top    #1

After a few hours of the pump keeps running, but the water stop circulating!?

Have a 15 x 30 above ground pool to horsepower two speed water pump and sand filter. Hadn't noticed it before because I thought it was the timer going off during the time I get home from work. Yesterday I noticed that after about three hours of the pumping on, the pump continues to run but the water stop circulating! If I flip the switch and turn the pump off and then back on, the water start circulating again.

Any idea why this would be happening and how to fix it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: After a few hours of the pump keeps running, but the water stop circulating!?

Add your pool info to your sig so that we can better help you. Here's how, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

It wouldn't hurt to add your state to your location in your profile too. Climate is often an important factor when we help you with your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: After a few hours of the pump keeps running, but the water stop circulating!?

Your pump curve will have a dead-head pressure where the flow will drop to zero at that pump head. So too much head to pump against (dirty filter) will do it. Also, a clogged impeller can significantly change your pump curve so it doesn't take much pressure to get there. Especially at low speed.

I would at least start with checking the impeller to eliminate that cause.

4. Back To Top    #4

an abobe ground pool, 15 x 30 with side deck. Live in western MA. Opened it ( or at least started) Friday June 3rd. I also posted this info as part of another post, which now I think is related! Aquabug not cleaning whole pool

Connections are with 1.5in flex pvp pipe/hose.
    Last edited by askinstuff; 06-09-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: adding some more info

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's a picture of the pump+ filter I took when I was opening the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

In your other post, you had algae. Are you regularly back washing your filter as it could be clogging in 3 hours. Are you sure the pressure gauge is working if you are using that to determine backwash?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Pchase View Post
    In your other post, you had algae. Are you regularly back washing your filter as it could be clogging in 3 hours. Are you sure the pressure gauge is working if you are using that to determine backwash?
    sure, no. It seems to be as it goes to zero with pump off and goes up a few lb over a few weeks (last year, this year hasn't even been a week yet. Let me know if there is something else I should be looking for. Thx

8. Back To Top    #8

How does the pool look? If the water is clear you may need to deep clean your sand filter Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by askinstuff View Post
    sure, no. It seems to be as it goes to zero with pump off and goes up a few lb over a few weeks (last year, this year hasn't even been a week yet. Let me know if there is something else I should be looking for. Thx
    I had an extremely low flow problem myself recently so I pulled off the motor and checked the impeller. It was clogged with grass. That can fit through the skimmer baskets and pump baskets. I pulled it out, slid the motor back on and everything ran great after that.

10. Back To Top    #10

After reading a bunch of posts, I'm wondering if I have an air leak or the impeller has debris! From what I've read, 6 psi seems awfully low. I'm going to look and the impeller hopefully later today. Anything else I should look at? How would I check for other air leaks?

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm an idiot! The PSI that I referred to above was when the pump was on low. When it's at high-speed it to 12 to 13 PSI, which seems more normal.The water is now more cloudy than green. Seems like the pump stayed on overnight on low. I back washed it for about 5 min last night. So maybe that was it. Fingers crossed!

12. Back To Top    #12

Here's how it looks now (through. Window screen)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by askinstuff View Post
    I'm an idiot! The PSI that I referred to above was when the pump was on low. When it's at high-speed it to 12 to 13 PSI, which seems more normal.The water is now more cloudy than green. Seems like the pump stayed on overnight on low. I back washed it for about 5 min last night. So maybe that was it. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So you were definately deadheading your pump on low speed. Here is a link on some Hayward pumps and all of them only have a capability of pumping 13-17 feet, even at zero flow. That's about 5.6 to 7.4 psi, so you were right at the capability of the pump.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/lite...loIISS2011.pdf