Opening pool for 1st time today - what to request or expect?

Luric

Aug 5, 2015
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We're having our pool opened today. This is our 1st full season owning a pool (bought the house late summer last year, pool already open.) We used the pool store recommended puck & weekly shock method for the remainder of last season but are committed to switching to the Troublefree method this season. The company opening does the chemicals for us to start. Should I request they use our supplies (opening cost includes chemicals, but assume they'll use pucks) or can I let them open to get things to a starting point then take over from there with our testing? Our pool didn't have a cover all winter, so the water is in pretty rough shape at the moment and will require a lot of TLC (and much vacuuming!!)

Any 1st timer tips appreciated. I've read through a lot of the Pool School basics, but I'm much more of a hands-on learner, so I think I need a working, running pool to really get the hang of things. It's my understanding I should test my chlorine & PH daily and alkalinity & calcium hardness weekly then adjust according to the Pool Math calculator. I should plan on NOT using our chlorinator at all. Do I sound like I'm off to the right start? Our testing kit won't be here for 4 more days. Is that a problem? We just had a baby a few wks ago so getting things together kinda slipped past me (also why we're opening the pool well past Memorial Day!) Thanks!

Since you are paying for a service, I would get your money's worth and let them open, clean, and do any initial dosing. You might want to ask them in advance if they plan on adding any pool store products like an algaecide that contain copper because you prefer not to have that metal in the water. But as soon as they leave, be ready to take 100% control. Have some regular liquid bleach ready for your daily needs. As soon as your test kit arrives, post a full set of test results and we'll be glad to help you understand those and adjust as required. Have a great day!

I'll admit my naivete on opening - I thought we'd be swimming the day after they opened our pool (hahaha). Especially when you consider we didn't have a cover through the offseason (pool was winterized), I recognize now that opening and clearing our water is a bit of an undertaking. That said, it's been 10 days, and we're not really much closer than we were at day 3 or 4. Being new at this and having a less-typical situation (coverless), I'm not sure what my expectation should be, but I'm starting to feel a little strung along and would appreciate any other opinions.

Day 1/Thur: They vacuumed blind and dumped a bunch of checmicals. Had us run the filter 24/7 and told to call when it clears.
Day 3/Sat: Came back out to replace a piece on the filter that was lost by the company that closed the pool (had a temp fix in the interim) and did chemicals again. Again told to continue running filter, backwash every 6 hrs for 2 days, and top up to mid-skimmer. Told to call when water clears in "3-ish days"
Day 5/Mon: Unexpected visit from pool guys (Husband called office, they didn't know why anyone was there). Added chemicals and told us to run filter then shut down after 4 hrs and call with update following morning. I'm gathering now that he added flocc.
Day 6/Tue: Called to report spa & 1st few steps into pool started to look clear. Told to give it another day. If no change at all by Wed, call, but if any change at all let it keep going till Thursday.
Day 7/Wed: Spa & entire shallow section clear, so we gave the deep end another day
Day 8/Thur: The pool is clear!!! Called as soon as they opened to say we could see the entire floor. Were told they'd get us "on the schedule and let us know when they'd send someone out"
Day 9/Fri: Halfway through the day I still hadn't heard from the pool company, so husband called. Was told someone would be out the following day. Personally I got the impression they forgot about us till we called...
Day 10/Sat: Woke up this morning and the pool is fully milky/cloudy again to the point that you can't see more than a few inches down. No answer at the pool company. No one ha shown up yet, and their Saturday hours are over in 30 min.

I feel like they missed the window by not coming by yesterday. Not showing up today just makes things worse of course since I'm left in the dark with algae continuing to grow in the 85+ degree weather until Monday. I don't know what to do.

Thoughts? We got the name of the company from our neighbor who've been using them for weekly service as well as opening/closing for the last few years. They also serviced our pool last summer for the previous owners though I never got a firm answer on if they opened it for them last year (when it also would not have had a cover).

PS - I'm attaching a collage I'd been making the 1st few days showing just how green it was to begin (after they vacuumed and mixed it all up) then how milky blue it was after a few days. This was Days 1-5, then a photo from the day we bought the house last year when the pool was in perfect shape.
View attachment 50413

I can totally understand your frustration. That's exactly why having your own test kit is so valuable. It's easy to do and you realize very quickly that other people simply dump chemicals in the water without fully understanding the impact. From the pics, it looks like algae and you need to perform a TFP "SLAM". But the test results would confirm that form either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. I hope you have one on order. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.