SLAMing with no CYA

Jun 17, 2015
VA
Pool guy opened our pool on Tuesday and it's a swampy mess, so I've begun to SLAM it. I had to do that at the beginning of last season too to get it cleaned up.

This time, however, our CYA level is absolute 0.

The Pool School info on CYA says that "After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week." The packaging for the conditioner I bought tonight says no backwashing for at least 48 hours. Meanwhile, the SLAM has me backwashing every few hours as our PSI climbs.

Should I stick with the CYA of 0 for now and wait until the SLAM is complete before worrying about the CYA level?

(I also bought the chemicals to raise the pH and TA and will begin administering tomorrow.)

FC - 8
pH - 7.0
CYA - 0
TA - 50
CH - 300

Appreciate any advice!

If you are able to hold some FC through the day to rule-out ammonia, then increasing CYA is a must - to a target of 30. Your pH is fine for now, and no need to mess with the other items either. So add some stabilizer now.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

As soon as that sock is soaking, assume your water (CYA) will make it to 30 and increase your FC to 12 then continue your SLAM. Hope that helps.

Thanks! My base filter pressure is 20 psi. If it goes up to 28-30, should I go ahead and backwash, ignoring the conditioner instructions? Or just let it run at that pressure for the minimum 48 hrs?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.