Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool vacuum??

1. Back To Top    #1
    Arlington, TX

Pool vacuum??

I am awaiting my test kit. It should be here tomorrow. Is a pool vacuum necessary and if so, what do you guys recommend? IG plaster.

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)
    SWG IG pool, *estimated until further notice* 12k gallons, DE Filter, in ground skimmer, currently a SWAMP.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Pool vacuum??

You have options on how to clean schmutz out of the bottom of the pool.
    Your choices include a fancy electric robot ($$-$$$), a small battery vac ($) or manually (less than $!) by using the skimmer, the long vacuum hose and a pole.
    How to vacuum an Inground Pool Video - YouTube

Take a pic of your equipment pad and we can tell you if you have a SWG.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Pool vacuum??

I'm with Yippee - minimum is a telescopic pole, leaf scoop attachment, brush attachment, vacuum head attachment, a hose in good shape, skimmer plate, and if needed, a cuff for attaching the hose to the skimmer plate. If there's a vacuum port on the pool, I wouldn't use it until after the pool is clean. I'd think about automated cleaners after ending the mystery of what's down there, assuming you don't know the history of the pool.

I have a 12K pool, and I swear if I had a main drain, I could do it all with a leaf scoop and the brush. That said, for a swamp, I would close the main drain valve and not play with it until after I could see the intakes at the bottom of the pool.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting