Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool vacuum??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool vacuum??

I am awaiting my test kit. It should be here tomorrow. Is a pool vacuum necessary and if so, what do you guys recommend? IG plaster.

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)
    SWG IG pool, *estimated until further notice* 12k gallons, DE Filter, in ground skimmer, currently a SWAMP.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool vacuum??

You have options on how to clean schmutz out of the bottom of the pool.
    Your choices include a fancy electric robot ($$-$$$), a small battery vac ($) or manually (less than $!) by using the skimmer, the long vacuum hose and a pole.
    How to vacuum an Inground Pool Video - YouTube

Take a pic of your equipment pad and we can tell you if you have a SWG.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool vacuum??

I'm with Yippee - minimum is a telescopic pole, leaf scoop attachment, brush attachment, vacuum head attachment, a hose in good shape, skimmer plate, and if needed, a cuff for attaching the hose to the skimmer plate. If there's a vacuum port on the pool, I wouldn't use it until after the pool is clean. I'd think about automated cleaners after ending the mystery of what's down there, assuming you don't know the history of the pool.

I have a 12K pool, and I swear if I had a main drain, I could do it all with a leaf scoop and the brush. That said, for a swamp, I would close the main drain valve and not play with it until after I could see the intakes at the bottom of the pool.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners