What is a true indication you need to SLAM?

May 21, 2016
Swansea MA
Been noticing rainy overcast days my CC tends to rise above the normal 0 or .5 level. I guess the point of post today is this.

Is the rising CC a reason to SLAM or is failing the OCLT a better sign of needing to SLAM?

Water is crystal clear by the way!! Thanks to the forum for that.

P.S. Opened crystal clear and have not had to SLAM yet.Working on 4 weeks open.

CC may rise and fall depending on the amount of organics in the water and the amount of UV the pool receives. As CC rises this is a warning. Failing the OCLT is the failure that indicates a SLAM

I take timing into consideration.

An 0.5 CC (or even 1.0 if I know it's been an extreme day for some reason) reading in the afternoon is cause for attention, but absent any other indications (smell, clarity, etc) usually not something I think indicates a SLAM. It WILL prompt me to perform an OCLT however, and check carefully in the morning.

On the other hand, ANY CC I find in the morning is an alarm bell for me, and prompts an immediate SLAM, regardless of any other indicators. This is born both of my belief that if the pool's right, anything the chlorine might have needed to battle yesterday should have lost by morning, and my observation that any morning CC tends to go hand in hand with a failed OCLT anyway.

Thanks for the input. Another odd thing happened this AM when I tested for my OCLT. My FC went up and CC went down.

Last time I tested PH was 7.5 and CYA was 40

6/8 8:15PM pump had been off since 7PM and had rained
FC 4
CC 2

6/9 6AM turned on pump at 5:30
FC 7
CC .5

Could the diffrence in results be that the pump had been off for a bit on the first test? Oh and I do have a floater with the very end of 3 pucks floating in there. Once they are gone I will reserve pucks for times I am not around.

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually running the filter all night for an OCLT has been debated and I'm not sure it's really necessary. As long as the water is well mixed before you take each sample you should be good to go. Ru Ning the pump certainly can't hurt.

You see this
attachment.php

That would be a good indication. Lol
On a better note OCLT passed.
9:30 PM
FC 7
CC .5
6:00 AM
FC 7
CC 0

- - - Updated - - -

My first full season with the pool and already have friends asking how do you get the pool so clear. I also find myself cringing when I see people with test strips and dumping pool store shock in by the gallon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.