FC 14
CC 1

Just waited a few hours and retested and added more
FC 12
CC 1
CYA 40-45

Added enough to go up to 18FC based on new CYA

I have some questions

Should the CYA have gone up? Very possible that it's me being new at CYA tests because it's hard to see exactly when the dot disappears.

Also should I be aiming on the high side of the shock numbers or try to hit it exactly? It's decreasing over time so I made most of my calculations with some margin of error.

Should I be testing anything else during SLAM? I add DE 1/2 cup to my sand filter and I backwash at about 10-12 psi increase. Any other tips welcomed.

1. CYA test is tricky. You can pour back into the squirt bottle a couple of times and take an average. You're probably looking at a 40ish number, call it 40. Don't sweat it too much.

2. Right at what the chart says. No need to waste chlorine going over. Lots of science has gone into the chart, trust it.

3. Just FC until the SLAM is over.

Thanks for doing your homework and having a good handle on things before you start posting.

Last edited:
I did another CYA test this morning just for kicks and practice, did it twice and got 60 each time. Up from 30-40. Is that normal or unreasonable? Is CYA testing accurate during SLAM? Should I move forward with 60 levels of bleach?

It's important to do the CYA test in full sunlight, back to the sun, holding the tube waist high with 2 fingers at the top (as opposed to a closed fist).

This morning at 7-7:30 in CT is not full sunlight :)

Hello again. Pool is now pretty blue but cloudy. Can finally see the bottom when you're vacuuming. But still some more to go. Two questions.

1. I bought a clear solar cover should I keep that off? Or on?

2. I have some clarifiers left over from the pool store. Clear aid and ulta bright in particular. I assume you're against those? Would they help with the cloudiness or just wait for the chlorine do its thing? I have a sand filter. So any performance improving tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
SLAM Progress

Hello again. 4 days into my first slam. Pool is now pretty blue but a little cloudy. Can finally see the bottom when you're vacuuming. But still some more to go. Today I scrubbed out my skimmer, ladder, returns, etc. expecting to have pretty good overnight test results. Two questions.

1. I bought a clear solar cover should I keep that on/off so I can warm it up for next weekend? Or do I have to wait until slam is over?

2. I have some clarifiers left over from the pool store. Clear aid and ulta bright in particular. I assume you're against those? Would they help with the cloudiness or just wait for the chlorine to do its thing? I have a sand filter. So any clarifying / performance improving tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: SLAM Progress

1 - Best to keep the cover off and let the pool breathe.
2 - Do not add the clarifiers at this time. If we were to believe that at some point after an exceptionally long SLAM that the results required some supplemental treatments (very rare), we'd evaluate that based on your test results and overall SLAM performance. Later, towards the end of the SLAM, we "might" recommend adding some DE to help collect some residual algae debris, but that would be towards the very tail-end of the SLAM.

For now .... patience and reviewing the SLAM page each day to ensure you're doing all the little things required. Good luck!

Status update.

Water is clear now. I tried an OCLT last night.

11pm readings (0.5ppm drop equivalent)
FC 22
CC 0.5
CYA 50

6AM readings (0.5ppm drop equivalent)
FC 20.5
CC 0.5

So I guess I just missed? I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right and that the test is accurate at 22ppm. The example says be above 3ppm at which point I could use 0.2ppm drop equivalent. But I didn't let it drop I kept it above shock

Please advise on that detail. Otherwise I'll keep going. And thanks for maintaining this forum. It's amazing how much better this is than 50 trips to the pool store.

Don't know what I will do with my 40 lb canister of cal hypo powder, pucks, and clarifiers though. Not glad to have wasted all that money.

Thanks again so much I'll be a lifelong advocate.

Help!

Failed OCLT again today at 2ppm however I had to use 5ml sample and 1.0ppm drops because I am essentially out of r0871.

I called every pool store near me yesterday for it. No one had it. I have ordered it but it will take too long to arrive. What do I do? Is there any other method to measure FC that high?

Uh oh. What do I do now?

Don't sweat it too much. By now you should have a pretty good idea of how much chlorine you've been adding every day. Just continue to add that amount, then see where you are when your 871 arrives.

Ok I finally got my 0871 refill. Using 0.5ppm drop eqiv

OCLT last night midnight
FC - 20
CC -1

6 am today
FC 21
CC 0.5 (probably less it was almost clear with no drops but there was some color)

Can I stop slamming now? What next?

Thanks
Dan

If the water is clear, then yes, you are done. The FC can drop to target level and then never let it fall below minimum. Grab a pH test as soon as it drops below 10.

Ok finished slam and here are my numbers

FC 3.5
CC 0.5
PH 7.8
TA 80
CH 370
CYA 40 (40 in my own shadow, 30 in the sunlight if I move sample out of my shadow, which is correct? "Back facing sun" is vague)

I'm confused why my CH is so high. I was at 280 before the slam and I didn't use any powders and I added water several times. Maybe I should test my hose water?

Let me know if you have any advice for anything. Thanks.

Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.