Hayward Pump Won't Start

May 29, 2016
Warren, MI
I have a Hayward SP1510Z1XEHC 1HP Pump that's been working fine until today. I went out to check my chlorine after work and noticed the pump wasn't running. I turned it off, and when I tried to start it back up, it just hummed. Are there any suggestions on trying to fix it? I'm hoping it's not dead as I just spent all of last week SLAMing and getting my chemicals balanced.

I ended up taking it apart part way. I took off the pump filter basket housing and can spin the impeller by hand. I cleaned the vents on the underside, and I took off the back cover. Unfortunately, I don't seem to see a starting capacitor at the minute. There's no capacitor directly under the end cap, and there's no top or side caps. I'm going to try and pull it apart one more layer in the rear to see if I can find the capacitor.

If the pump truly is dead, what pumps are recommended for a 21 ft. round AG pool? This is my first pool, and my first summer with it, so I'm a little bit lost still.

I disassembled the pump and motor entirely. Checked continuity of the main and starter motor windings, checked resistance of the external power switch and the starter switch, checked the starter clutch movement, and sanded the starter switch contacts to remove any possible corrosion. I did manage to get the pump running again for now. Hopefully it lasts a good while longer. In any case, it was a good exercise in learning how a pool pump is built and how it works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.