Dolphin Nautilus Plus and Algae

May 3, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I recently purchased a Nautilus Plus and it does the job of picking up debris very well. However, even with using the fine filter cartridges, the algae on the bottom of the pool doesn't get caught by the filters. Instead, it blows through the impeller out the top, kinda like a smokestack. It picks up sand, small sticks, leaves, etc, quite well, but the algae seems to blow right through it and clouds the otherwise clear pool. Is this normal for robotic cleaners?

I did check and re-check that the filters were clean and installed properly. I also put a question in to Maytronics but have not heard back.

Yours is a common misconception.......a pool cleaner or vacuum of ANY type has nothing to do with removing green algae from your pool.....it simply will not do it.

Algae is a chemistry problem and not a filtration problem. Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Armed with that knowledge, you should then get one of the two good test kits we suggest so you can begin to manage your pool and get it crystal clear.

I suppose my problem description and question wasn't well expressed. The algae I am referring to is the brown/dead kind that falls to the bottom during the SLAM. I have the TF100 and am keeping the FC high enough to maintain the SLAM for my CYA level. Currently, my CC is pretty much zero (1 drop brings the pink back to clear), but there is dead stuff at the bottom. I guess the part I am missing is: do I simply keep brushing/stirring up the dead stuff at the bottom until the filter totally clears it? OR, should I vacuum out the dead stuff at the bottom to avoid stirring up the pool so much? Which brings me back to the robot, which I was hoping would be a good substitute for a vacuum.

Have you performed an Overnight FC Loss Test? If not, it is worth doing. You want to make sure you have no algae that may be hiding in light niches, ladders, etc. If what you are seeing is indeed dead algae, continue running the filter, brushing, and maintaining the SLAM. The filter will need more time to capture this debris. Remember that one of the criteria for passing the SLAM is "when your water is clear". Currently, it is not.

do I simply keep brushing/stirring up the dead stuff at the bottom until the filter totally clears it? OR, should I vacuum out the dead stuff at the bottom to avoid stirring up the pool so much? Which brings me back to the robot, which I was hoping would be a good substitute for a vacuum.
Do both. One by itself is not as good.

I have pretty good luck brushing the dead stuff back up into the pool water and the filter takes care of it. All the while, I run my robot so he can do his share, too.

Of course, as Bo says above, make darn sure you have killed all the algae or it will simply keep reappearing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.