Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No CC but no FC either. Time to SLAM (again)?

1. Back To Top    #1

St Paul, MN

No CC but no FC either. Time to SLAM (again)?

Hi all:

I slammed my pool about three weeks ago. Had everything perfect. Then we had rain for a week, so the pool was neglected. (We have an automatic, non permeable cover, so when it rains, I can't get to the pool without clearing the water on the cover first, which doesn't make much sense when it's raining.) When I finally got to it, my previously crystal clear water was cloudy and slightly blue-green (again). Tested. FC was .5, CC is 0. I've tried bringing the chlorine back up to 5, but the pool isn't clearing, and while the CC is staying at 0, the FC isn't rising either.

I assume that means I need to slam again? If so, will the process go quicker this time? There's no visible algae. Just cloudy water.

Back-up question. I'm waiting for a new SWG cell to arrive so I can turn that system on. In the meantime, do I really need to test the water daily even when the pool is covered and not in use? Is it normal for the FC to disappear even when not exposed to sunlight?

30,000 IG vinyl pool / Hayward sand filter / SWG / TK-2006 / well water / sunlight blocking cover

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: No CC but no FC either. Time to SLAM (again)?

If it were me, I'd re-slam it and expect that it should go quicker.

I would test every day, or at least every other day, until I knew what my trend is. Cover or not, I would expect to add chlorine in that length of time. There could have been algae hiding somewhere, and no matter how good a cover, there's stuff getting in. Algae is microscopic and everywhere (dramatic suspenseful horror movie music in the background). And sorry to hear, tis a pain alright.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting