Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Caulking Above Tile Line?

1. Back To Top    #1

Caulking Above Tile Line?

Sorry if I am using any terminology wrong. If you look at the below picture I swiped from Google (this is not my pool), you will see the installer caulking between the top of the tile line and below (what I think is called) the coping. In my pool I am afraid that this line of caulking will soon need replacing. I am wondering what type of caulking I would need. Also, when would you consider it a problem where it needs replacement? Some (most) walls of my pool are fine, while some others have small (maybe 1/4") gaps around the line of caulking.

sample.jpg
    20,000 Gallon Gunite Saltwater Inground Pool
    Hayward Super II Pump (model # SP3007X10AZ) | Hayward 48 Sq. Ft. Pro-Grid D.E. Filter (model # DE4820) | Hayward AquaRite SWG (model # AQR15) | Hayward 400,000 BTU Natural Gas Heater (model # H400FDN) | Polaris PB4-60 Vacuum Booster Pump (model # PB4-60) | Polaris P39 Pressure Pool Cleaner (model # P39) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve (model # SP715XR50)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Caulking Above Tile Line?

I would mix two part pool putty white and black to get the right gray color and go along and push it into the crack. It also cures underwater so if your tile line mortar has any cracks you can put some in there too.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Pool putty seems like a good idea. You have to have some flex in whatever you use as that joint will expand and contract.

I used polyurethane caulk on mine and it worked quite well. Pool putty might be a bit easier to work with.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I almost recommended polyurethane caulk. I think that will work fine too.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

So you are talking about something like this, correct? Also, when do you think these small cracks pose a problem where I need to think about repairs? Should I fill in the small gaps with this sealant now, or wait another season or two until the problem is more obvious. As I mentioned, some, if not most, of the line of caulking is not in need of repair.
    Hayward Super II Pump (model # SP3007X10AZ) | Hayward 48 Sq. Ft. Pro-Grid D.E. Filter (model # DE4820) | Hayward AquaRite SWG (model # AQR15) | Hayward 400,000 BTU Natural Gas Heater (model # H400FDN) | Polaris PB4-60 Vacuum Booster Pump (model # PB4-60) | Polaris P39 Pressure Pool Cleaner (model # P39) | Hayward Vari-Flo Valve (model # SP715XR50)

6. Back To Top    #6

I like this better

Sikaflex 29 fl. oz. Grey Self-Leveling Sealant-106711 - The Home Depot

Small cracks aren't really an issue. Maybe up to 1/8". You just don't want a bunch of water getting in there. So, it also depends on how much splashing there is in the pool. But, if you are like us with group cannonballs and my son who is on the high school swim team swimming laps doing the fly then there is a LOT of splashing up under the coping.
    TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

One last question... would you advise if I were to repair the small gaps, that I dig out the existing line of caulking, or caulk over what is already there?

8. Back To Top    #8

Only remove loose material, leave the rest alone.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Pooldv, the description says this is for horizontal surfaces. Wouldn't it be better to use something that is not self leveling and states that is ok for vertical surfaces? Thanks
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, good catch.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

We have a pool that was just finished being refurbished in May. All new concrete decking was poured around the pool, completely new mini pebble surface in the pool, and new glass tiles. Most of our caulking under the coping has already separated from the tile after about 45 days. Problem? I will call the company out if needed and this is not normal. Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

We were told that the coping floats from the pool so it will need to expand and contrat from the temp swings especially in winter vs summer. We have a cover star auto cover where there is an aluminum rail but I doubt we have any caulking.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System