A little bit of sand.

Sep 8, 2010
Noblesville, IN
I keep getting a little bit of sand in the bottom corner of the pool. I vacuum it up and with no one swimming a few days later it is back. Usually a line about 1/2" wide bu about 18" long. Any ideas where this may come from? Any how to fix it? It has done it from day one and we have had the pool six years. I'very just put up with it but the wife keeps asking to get it "fixed".

A few things come to mind for me, so I'll ask a few questions.

Do you backwash around once or month, or more frequently than that? Does it happen after you backwash?
Have you eliminated any critter related stuff, like something digging near the pool?
Is it windy around there? as in, every pool has a dead spot somewhere, maybe soil blowing in the air?

In the meantime, try putting a nylon knee-high stocking over the pool returns, and see if it catches anything? (unscrew them or pull them out, tuck the top of the knee-high around the edges, put them back in.

My response will bump your thread too, so some of the experts here might see it as well, and we'll get other ideas.

Backwash monthly, have automatic cover so most of the time it's covered. My next step is to put a nylon stocking over the end of the vacuum and catch what I suck up to make sure I'm not just recirculating the sand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk

Try putting a nylon knee-high stocking over the pool returns, and see if it catches anything. (unscrew them or pull them out, tuck the top of the knee-high around the edges, put them back in. Let the system run for an hour or so, and then check if there's anything like the sand you're finding on the bottom of the pool coming from the filter.

Make absolutely sure it really is sand. Does it quickly fall back to the pool floor when you brush it up into the water or does it sort of "whoosh" away?

Can you pick it up between your thumb and forefinger? Is it gritty?

I don't like suggesting things without the information, but if you've eliminated outside sources of sand, then the only source left is your filter. No way to be sure until the returns are tested, but there could be a lateral in the bottom that is broken or displaced. Deep cleaning is not enough to fix a displaced or broken lateral, but the first page of this thread explains filters really well, which can be helpful as you work through this.
Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.