Newbie need Opinion On Filter, Pump, Water Treatment Combo.

May 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Im about to install a inground pool and spa. One of my builder said Salt system is good and couple other builder say stay with chlorine.
another builder suggested Ozone / mineral sanitizer and auto chlorine feeder.

Please give me your opinion. What would you get? Ozone or Salt? Is there a good read material regarding different systems?

This is the Ozone combo one builder will include with the pool install.
408sq ft surface
pool equipment
Paramount Clear O3 ozone pure water. 55000 gal cap
Pentair Rainbow Model 300/320 Auto chlorine/Bromine Feeder
Pentair intelliflo vs3050 variable speed pump
Zodiac Nature 2 Mineral sanitizer for pool
Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
Pentair PoolShark
Pentair master temp hi perf heater

I plan to also get solar panel for solar heating.

Thanks in advance for your opinion and advice.

I have a Goldline (Hayward) AquaRite SWG. It keeps things pretty simple. Salt/SWG for normal use, 6% bleach for shocking or 'boosting' the chlorine level before a swim party, and muratic acid (MA) for keeping the PH in line. 8)

Seems like there is no love for mineral sanitizer and ozone combo. I see much loyal SWG followers, Why is it that the pool builders dont like them?

I am in Southern California, The pool will face west.. Plenty of sun light all day for the pool and Solar heating. So if Sunlight is Free Ozone, sounds good to me.

I will stay with the pentair cart filter and intelliflow pump.

What brand of SWG would you get if you can start from scratch? I will do water maintenance myself so the lease amount of maintenance the better.

Most pool builders do like SWGs, according to one industry study, over 70% of the pools built in the US have a SWG.

The builders who don't like SWGs are mostly responding to some cases where inferior materials were used and the problems got blamed on the SWG and to cases where people didn't do any water testing, thinking the SWG was taking care of everything, and then blamed the builder because their terrible poor water balance caused damage.

fkong777 said:
Why is it that the pool builders dont like them? What brand of SWG would you get if you can start from scratch?
I had quotes from 3 different pool builders: Two strongly recommended the SWG, and the 3rd had it as an upgrade. The one that wasn't really pushing it listed it as an upgrade. All of them stated that it didn't prevent normal water monitoring and adjusting but made management easier.
For us, it was an easy choice: The Goldline (Hayward) AquaRite SWG 8) .

The pool builder that listed it as an upgrade ended up putting in a pool for one of our neighbors using Baquacil: The neighbor used the Baq system for 2 years, had lots of trouble with it :x , then converted over to BBB last summer and put in a SWG :-D ! They are happy with their pool now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.